Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have suzuki vitara 97. the problem starts I have suzuki

Customer Question
vitara 97. the problem starts...
I have suzuki vitara 97. the problem starts I have suzuki vitara 97. the problem starts when the mechanic changes the battery he plugged the wrong way. now the car clinchs but doesnt start and there is a signe that says "check engine". But the mechanic told me its the ECU or immobilizer
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Car
10/14/2011
Auto Mechanic: rlc532, Technician replied 6 years ago
rlc532
rlc532, Technician
rlc532 :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answers! I will assist you with your question.

rlc532 :

Have you checked the under hood fuses? The main should be very large like 100amp.

rlc532 :

Other problems can occur from this but I would start by checking all of the fuses and then we can go from there. Let me know what you find. Thanks

Customer:

hey man i couldn´t surpass the problem. I need your help please?

rlc532 :

Ok. have you checked the under hood fuses? There is main battery fuse that is 100amp. much larger than the others and square in shape usually blue/purple in color. Please be specific with your responses and include as much detail as possible, this helps me give you a more accurate answer.

Customer:

I checked all fuse they are all ok. the battery fuse is 80amp with 32v i changed it and the color is black.

Customer:

when i tried to start the same thing it clinches but doesn´t start. and says check engine

Customer:

what do you think i have to do?

Customer:

till now no solution

rlc532 :

Have the battery checked. Also have the vehicle scanned for active codes (check engine light). When a battery is connected incorrectly it can damage it. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "clinch" but if its what I'm think your saying that when you turn the key you here a click and the starter never engages also followed by everything dimming or dying out. This sounds to me like a low damaged battery.

rlc532 :

Please let me know what it is that you find. Remember the troubleshooting process can take some time, especially typing back and forth. Thanks!

Customer:

"clinch" means everything is working but couldnt start (i.e no benzen is reaching to the candles) the motor to work.

Customer:

And as you said that there is no way to connect to a device that can check the problem code. It means the is no device in the country

Customer:

what do u think if I changed the ECU, because even if i remove the ECU it gives the same result it clinches but the motor wont start.

rlc532 :

The ECU could be damaged but without proper troubleshooting (which is what I was work toward) we can not determine this. I am sorry for the miscommunication, I will opt out so that another expert may help you. Please DO NOT RESPOND or the question will be locked to me and another expert can not help you. Thank you have a great week!

Auto Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 6 years ago
Greg
Greg, Technician
Hi welcome to JA.com.I will answer your question the best I can,

New expert here and my name is ***** *****

What i need to know is ?

The engine cranks over but does not start
OR
The starter motor does not engage and just clicks .

And you have checked all the fuses , did you check with a test light or just pulled the fuse to check it had not blown.?

Are you sure you have a V6 engine with a 2.0L or did you mean the 2.5L V6.
as the 2.0L is a 4 cylinder .

Please let me know for further assistance

Regards Greg
I checked all fuse that I could check, or tell me where and where to check again
The engine cranks over but does not star. And it says "check engine"
the reference for the car is :- Suzuki Vitara V6-2.0 NOM- ES 49 year: 06/05/1997
Ok .

Lets first check for codes ,this is what i want you to do

Accessing trouble codes :

• Trouble codes are displayed by the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).
• Switch ignition ON.
• Check that MlL illuminates.
• Bridge data link connector (DLC) terminals B and D Fig. 1
• Count MlL flashes. Note trouble codes. Compare with trouble code table.
• Each trouble code consists of two groups of one or more flashes.
• A 1.5 second pause separates each trouble code group.
• A 3 second pause separates each trouble code.
• MlL flash duration: 0,3 second.
• For example: Two 0.3 second flashes . 1,5 second pause - one 0.3 second flash. Trouble code 21.
• Remove bridge wire.
• Switch ignition OFF.

Fig 1:

Do this first then get back to me with the codes .

But i will be honest with you , I've seen this happen many times and 8 out of 10 the ECU is fried.

But lets check the system first. you might be lucky .

Regards Greg

Ok Greg, lets do like this way. Tell where and how to buy the ECU or if its possible to repair the ECU.
Hi .

Just noticed you are in Senegal on the west coast of Africa .

No idea where you can get parts there is there no used parts shop
in your area because i guess you want your car up and running fast as possible.

I guess if you can you could send it out to the UK if you can let me know and i will give you a good address where you can send it in for testing and repair.

In the engine bay fuse box check F7(Engine control fuse) fuse check that you have voltage with the ignition ON should have battery voltage

Greg
Thank you Greg,

Im from Guinea-Bissau west africa. Give me the address in the UK and I will send it there for maintenance or to buy a new one. And I dont understand this part

"In the engine bay fuse box check F7(Engine control fuse) fuse check that you have voltage with the ignition ON should have battery voltage"

Im satisfied with your answers. And I would like to have your address if its possible.

Send me the Address to let the money to transfer.

thank you in Advance.
Hi .

Here are a few ECU repair centers in the UK .

If you don't see the Make of car you need get in touch with them and confirm they can work on your ECM before sending it out.

Please click here. and Here

Kindest regards and thank you for using Justanswer.com

Greg
Greg
Greg, Technician
Greg
Greg
Greg, Technician