Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Geo Prizm GSi I have a Geo Prizm Wont start with key, replaced

I have a Geo Prizm...
I have a Geo Prizm Wont start with key, replaced Ingmation switch, and 100 a fuse, still wont start, checked all fuses found other blown ones,
10/5/2011
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Hello and thank you for using justanswer.

Does engine start if starter is jumped? Automatic transmission or manual?
If I hot wire inmation switch, junp hot to start on back of switch, and trans is auto.
Sorry, one more question. What year is your Prizm?
1992 OOPs forgot that little tidbit
Thanks for the info.

Check the 40 amp AM fuse in the fusible link box. If the fuse is good and you have power at the white wire at the ignition switch (jumper white to black/white to see if the engine cranks). If it does then the new ignition switch is bad.
Checking on that will get back to u
Sounds good. Let me know when you can.
No Luck 40 amp fuse is OK, have no white wires on ignation, Have light brown at AM2 hot all the time, Lite brown-white strip to IG2 hot when key in run, Black-red strip on AM1, Black-white stripe on ST1, Lite blue-white stripe on AUX Broun-red stripe on ST2 and Black-red stripe on G car starts and runs with the key when I junp AM1 to IG2.but bat and brake lite stay on, on the dash, and not charging the battery, good luck figuring this out, I am stumped
Does AM 1 not have power on this terminal?
AM1 does not have power at hermina with the key in off and it still does not in the run pos,l
This is the problem. In my diagram, this shows to be a white wire, obviously on the car it is a Black/Red wire. It should go back to 40 amp fuse or fusible link in underhood panel. Test the Black/Red wire for power at the underhood panel. If you have power at the panel then there is a break in this wire between the panel and the ignition switch.

graphic

Wiring code on new ignation switch is a little bit differant, the code on the the care harnis is whit. checked fues again have power to and trought it, and probed white wire ofter fuse, have power, but do not have power at switch, have power if i jumpit from under hood, car starts, but still do not have charging and idiot lights stay on, and no cooling gans, replace 100 amp fuse, stil no charging, don't think alt is bad,
If the labeling on the new ignition switch is different, this is likely the problem. Wrong ignition switch. Try getting another one and see if the labeling is correct for the wiring, then see if the engine starts and charging system operates.
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
OK will do that, back at u tomarrow thanks alot. I will also get the alt tested too
Sounds good. Look forward to hearing from you tomorrow.
HI again, been real busy, just found the ALT, was bad had it tested at local parts store, oreded reman one, had to bypass white wire, was unable to find shore, works great now. short took out 100 AMP fuse, and alt. thanks for your help, was stumpped,
You are welcome, glad I could help. It is usually easier to run a new wire than to track down a short or open in a wire.
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech