Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My car makes a squealing noise when it starts

Customer Question
Why does my car make...
Why does my car make a horrible squealing noise when it first starts?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Car
10/4/2011
Auto Mechanic: Superbob, Senior Master auto technician replied 6 years ago
Superbob
Superbob, Senior Master auto technician
The most common cause for a loud squealing noise when first started is a result of a loose or old and hardened accessory drive belt! If you take a finger full of a light body grease like Vaseline and put some on the inside of the belt(s) when the engine is not running and then the next time you start it cold if it does not make the noise, you will know that you need to either tighten the tension on the belt(s) or replace them!
Unfortunatley my husband is deployed for the next year, leaving all repairs to me, and have no idea where to find the belt? Any helpful ideas on what I am looking for? It is an 06 Nissan Maxima.

The drive belts for your vehicle will be on the front of the engine, they are what delivers the engine rotational motion to the pulleys such as the alternator, power steering pump, and air conditioning compressor! Below I have attached the workshop manual section for adjustment of these belts. If this is something that you do not think that you can tackle yourself, it would be considered an a simple fix at most local shops or even the wall mart tire center, and the charge to adjust your belt tension would be very reasonable!

DOWNLOAD HERE

Superbob
Superbob
Superbob, Senior Master auto technician