How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask George H. Your Own Question
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Category: Car
Satisfied Customers: 18763
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
Type Your Car Question Here...
George H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

replacing the hood hinges on my truck..windshield..engine compartment

Customer Question

general question --- I am replacing the hood hinges on my truck. The old hinges that I just pulled off have some kind of rubbery spongy type silicone or other glue between the hinge and the firewall. Is this to keep water from running down the windshield andinto the engine compartment? What do I need to buy to apply to the backs of the new hinges? Does it have to be that same spongy type sealer?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,


This is "seam sealer" available in caulking tubes at autoparts and body supply stores.


You need something to keep the water out of the bolt hole where they will rust and seam sealer works well. YOu could use RTV but it does not clean up as nicely and if this is a resto project you want to get the sealer which can be used on body panels and may other places along the way.


Let me know how I can help you with this


Thank you



George H. and 9 other Car Specialists are ready to help you