SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience:  2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology
49697172

89 silverado 1500: chevy truck..v8..The wheels shift..trailer

Customer Question

I have a 89 silverado 1500 chevy truck w/v8. The wheels shift from side to side whenever I drive down the road. If i hook a trailer up to it, it gets worse. The wheels wont stay steady, i have to continually fight to keep it straight. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  SNAPONTECH replied 6 years ago.

SNAPONTECH :

Welcome to Justanswer, My name is Danny I am here to help.

SNAPONTECH :

The problem is the steering rack is back also called steering gear this is what actually moves the wheels left to right. You can order these from napa they run about 120 bucks Here are the steps to replace

Full Size Image

SNAPONTECH :

Let me know if you have any questions.

SNAPONTECH :

If this information was useful please take a moment to kindly press the green ACCEPT button in the lower right hand corner. Thanks in advance Danny

Customer :

the steering rack is back or bad?

SNAPONTECH :

Bad

SNAPONTECH :

Sorry for the mistake

SNAPONTECH :

These are known to go bad and cause what your having

SNAPONTECH :

They are easy to replace and would suggest getting it done ASAP before you lose control of the steering completely

SNAPONTECH :

Let me know if you need anything.