Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

97 sidekick sport: clutch pedal..new master and slave..air bled out (

Customer Question
How can I get clutch...
How can I get clutch pedal pressure back on '97 sidekick sport - new master and slave installed, air bled out (with assistant pedaling) - no pressure.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Car
8/27/2011
Auto Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 6 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

did you pre-bleed the clutch master cylinder before installing it?
No - it is a simple single piston with exit hole underneath I filled the bottle, pushed the padal, bled from the slave, tapped the master to clear bubbles into the reservoir and bled again through slave

Suzuki has a special bleed procedure for the clutch master to be performed before pressure bleeding it.

Remove the master cylinder and tilt it approximately 15 degrees off of vertical, then add fluid to the reservoir and allow to gravity bleed for 60-90 seconds adding fluid to resevoir as needed to prevent running dry. Plug the brake line fitting hole in the master cylinder immediately after bleeding the air from it and reinstall master cylinder.

Perform normal bleeding procedure afterwards
15 degrees in which direction? Reservoir up or down?

sorry, with reservoir up
Thank you - I shall try this and see if it works and get back to you if not or "Accept Answer" if it does...

ok, sounds good
OK so, after 1/2 of vcuum bleding and pumping we have a little pdal pressure but not nough to operate the release arm - tropical thundersstorm just blew in so we must wait to continue - any more ideas?

I have had stubborn ones that took an hour or more of using a vacuum bleeder to get all the air out and get a good pedal.

you can remove the line from the master cylinder and plug the end of master clyinder after bleeding it and see if it holds pressure or not. If not, then you have a defective master clyinder out of the box.

OK so, I remove the line but I must plug it with something - I am using a golf tee to stop flui from coming out of the cylinder, must I try to find a threaded bolt of that size to plug it with?
This cylinder was in use for some time and the owner says that th pedal went "mushy" this was after I had adjusted th linkage tighten up the throw from the pedal - the bracket that bolts to the piston arm was a little bent and there was play in the bolt hole, since the bolt hole is far larger than the bolt!!!
HI,

If you have someone keep their finger on the golf tee to prevent it from blowing out, that will work fine. most parts stores will have a plastic threaded plug that you use.

In a pinch I have just had an assistent use their finger to plug the hole while I pump the pedal to see if there is any pressure or not.

OK I shall give it a go - the drowning danger has passed - thank you Eric.
hi,

no problem. and try to stay dry. I lived in florida for many years and went thru 3 hurricanes passing over my house in one year back in 2004. not much fun...
The grass does need it though - we tried your solution - fluid sprayed over helper and eng compt with finger pressure; golf tee worked better but pedal went to floor, even after pumping a few times - theree is pressure through the lines but the piston goes to bottom of cylinder without giving pedal back pressure - pedal just keeps flooring with little resistance. NAPA has a cyl for me but I cannot get to it until Mon AM - can I accept your answer with the $18 and apply that to the basic plan of 5 ?s/mo or do I have to pay again to log in to you on Mon if there is still a problem?

no you dont have to pay again. once you accept, ALL related followup is free and part of our customer service. I stay with my customers until problem is resolved.
Thank you Eric - we shall have a go on Mon w/a new master. It has been a pleasure so far, except for my attitude towards zuki ' engineering - c'est la vie d'auto ;}

sounds good and have a dry rest of the weekend
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager