Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

1999 Isuzu Rodeo: Automatic..cyl..specs..gear oil than trans fluid

1999 Isuzu Rodeo 4 x 4 Automatic 6 cyl. Has a sealed transmission, but is a high mileage car and I want to change the trans fluid. I saw some specs that show Dexron IV as the fluid type, but as I am draining, it looks more like some sort of gear oil than trans fluid. It is a dark (black) fluid that smells like oil and not trans fluid.

Anyone know the proper trans fluid needed?

Thanks
Tom

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. Please DON’T hit accept until you are completely satisfied with the answer. About your vehicle.

1999 Isuzu Truck Rodeo 4WD V6-3.2L

That is more than likely just some dirty trans fluid. The auto trans does use Dexron lll in fact.

Fluid Type Specifications

Transmission Fluid

Type Dexron III

Service and Repair

CHANGING TRANSMISSION FLUID
There is no need to change the transmission fluid unless the transmission is used under one or more of the following heavy duty conditions.

1. Repeated short trips
  2. Driving on rough roads
  3. Driving on dusty roads
  4. Towing a trailer

If the vehicle is used under these conditions, change the fluid every 20,000 miles (32,000 km.)

1. Place a large drain pan under the oil pan.

graphic

1. Remove the transmission oil drain screw (2) and drain fluid.
  2. Tighten drain screw (2). Torque: 38 Nm (28 ft. lbs.)
  3. Remove the transmission overfill screw (1) and fill transmission through overfill screw opening, using DEXRON III ATF .

NOTE: Add transmission fluid until it flows out over the overfill screw opening.

1. Let engine idle until a fluid temperature between 32°C (90°F) and 57°C (135°F) is reached.
  2. Add transmission fluid until it flows out over the overfill screw opening, then close the overfill screw (1). Torque: 38 Nm (28 ft. lbs.)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would swear someone put gear oil in it ;-))

Thank you so much for the detailed answer and procedure. One question. I remember reading somewhere that the last top up should be made while the engine is actually running. Is that correct?

Tom
Yes, after the initial fill you will want to run it, (on level ground, or jackstands) Thanks

1. Park the vehicle on level ground and apply the parking brake firmly.
  2. Check fluid level with engine running at idle.

NOTE: Be sure that transmission fluid temperature is below 30°C (86°F).

1. Move the selector lever through all gear ranges.
  2. Move the selector lever to "Park".
  3. Let engine idle for 3 minutes and open the overfill screw (1).
  4. Add released transmission fluid until it flows out over the overfill screw opening.
  5. Let engine idle until a fluid temperature between 32°C (90°F) and 57°C (135°F) is reached, then close the overfill screw (1).
Torque: 38 Nm (28 ft. lbs.)

NOTE: Check transmission fluid temperature with scan tool.