Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My code reader said it was P0017 Cam/Crankshaft sensor B..goes away

I have a H3 Hummer...
I have a H3 Hummer that has a bad Idle, my code reader said it was P0017 Cam/Crankshaft sensor B-Bank1. I have a history of this problem, sometimes it goes away on its own and sometimes changing one of the cam or crank sensors makes it go away. Now it won't go away. I changed all three cam and crank sensors and it still idles up and down very rough and still gives the same error message. Don't know what else to do.
8/5/2011
SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician

SNAPONTECH :

Welcome to Justanswer

SNAPONTECH :

I have noticed this before normally the fix is to replace the camshaft actuator

SNAPONTECH :

Here are the steps to check every options

SNAPONTECH :

Full Size Image

SNAPONTECH :

Full Size Image

SNAPONTECH :

Full Size Image

SNAPONTECH :

Full Size Image

SNAPONTECH :

This is most likely the solenoid being bad But just in case you have the test procedures and know what to look for.

SNAPONTECH :

Let me know if you have any questions if this was helpful kindly press ACCEPT. Thanks in advance Danny

SNAPONTECH :

Please let me know if you need anything else and the green accept button is the only way I get paid for my time and effort.Thanks

Customer:

I need additional help indetifing sensors and the location, I replaced what I thought was both cam shaft sensors located high and on the very front of the engine. Bopth sensors were only about an inch to an inch and a half long. The crank sensor does not look like the one in the illistration, the one I pulled out and replaced with an auto zone replacement was about three inches long and was a brass slug, (no holes or screens), this was lacated on the drivers side of the block. Am I looking at the wrong sensor, if so where is the one in your illistration.

Customer:

Kevin

SNAPONTECH :

Lets see if I can get a image of the location

SNAPONTECH :

Full Size Image

SNAPONTECH :

Thats what it will look like

SNAPONTECH :

This will go into the head I dont have a exact location still looking

SNAPONTECH :

found it

SNAPONTECH :

camshaft position actuator valve this is most likely a dealer only item and will fix the problem

Full Size Image

SNAPONTECH :

Please take a moment to press ACCEPT so I can credit for my time and effort if this was helpful Thanks Danny

Customer:

Il'l hit up the dealer tomorrow and buy one, thnks for your help, Il'l let you know how it turns out.

SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician

The Gary Lange Chevy was still open and had one in stock, $56 and change for a new one, pulled out the old one to find screen #1 missing, ran my finger down the hole to feel nothing, installed the new actuator and still getting mixed unusual things happening. Idles ok one second and then rough another, tried to rev the engine and nothing, pedel is to the floor and not much more than idle happening. Cleared the error code and engine light still hasn't come back on yet, let it idle for a while and thing appeared to be running better as each minute went by, took it for a test drive and it sputtered a couple times but ran much better, parked it and let it idle, a few more sputters but overall better. Will see over the next 24 hrs how things go.

Kevin

Sounds like that you have the right part and its adapting to the new sensor. If there was a part missing off the old sensor definitely not good. But let me know how it goes. If you have any other trouble I will be here. Thanks

Danny
SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician