Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Voyager: runs a few seconds stops vaccum ok then drops off..ingnition

Customer Question
87 3litre voyager starts runs...
87 3litre voyager starts runs a few seconds stops vaccum ok then drops off when engine shuts down seems like ingnition problem
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Car
8/4/2011
Auto Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

how and when did this problem first start happening?

tell me all you can

thanks

Well it's a long long sad storey but it began with a very cold weather fuel smell or small leak which I couldn't find and became noticible in very cold weather one moring I noticed an engine fire which I quickly put out probably caused by gas fumes and alternator spark. I repaired and rebuilt the engine wire loom and injector harness which was bacon crisp. Still couldn't find fuel leak pressure tested the fuel rail injectors but I don't have a freezer I can take the vehicle down to-30c installed new high pressure fuel hoes and clamps and regulator spent a lot of time and energy relooming the engine harness.Used the voyager again and was ok except Still had fuel smell in cold weather Last winter cold and covered with snow had another engine fire caught it and put it out right away.This time the fire even burnt the timing belt and it's cover This spring re repaired everything injector harness and engine loom this time I think I might have figured out where the leak is I saw some dampness where the bolt down strap which spot welded to the fuel tubes possibly a fine crack whick could be silver soldered. However after I got it all back together I started it up and it seems to run fine for a few seconds I checked for vaccum leak but I do have go vac when start and if reved up as I let rpm come down vaccum is good but as rpm comes down still hih above idle engine quits just like turned ingnition off. codes 12 16 55 clusters says Power loss my next best guess is perhaps alternater fault with insuficent voltage I don't know why it starts so good but if the ecm is shuting the engine down I know it is OBD1 I don't have an engine wire diagram it ran ok last time I repaired it I know it an old beater but it's starting to get real personal to me now

this is an 1987 right?

does the insrument panel work?

I think so I already checked replaced the ingition I have had problem with that before

ok

sense it has been on fire a couple of times,this would be really hard for me to help you over the net,though one of the other guys may have an idea...i will opt out,someone will be right with you

thanks

I know the problem was not there untill the second fire I am not sure if the engine can run without proper alt out put I think it is some kind of voltage problem
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician