SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience:  2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology
49697172

1993 J30: fuel injectors replaced and new plugs..jerks..stop light

I have a 1993 J30. Recently had all fluids changed, new brakes and fuel injectors replaced and new plugs. The engine jerks and will sputter losing power when I leave a stop light. I will take my foot off the gas and it will stop jerking and run fine for a few minutes then start again. Place I had repairs done kept the car for 2 weeks and found the same thing happening but said they did not know what was wrong because when they put it on a scope it showed nothing. The milage has dropped to 9 miles a gal. I only drive the car about 500 miles a year. The value of the car is about 2500.00 and I have put over 3000.00 in to fixing it. Is now the time to cut my lose or find another place to get it fixed. The guy has been servicing the car for the last 5 years.

SNAPONTECH :

Welcome to Justanswer

SNAPONTECH :

Have you replaced the mass airflow sensor?

Customer:

No.

SNAPONTECH :

Car never dies no smells nothing like that

Customer:

Car will die when at a stop light. Need to put in neutral and give a little gas then slip into gear

SNAPONTECH :

The shop checked everything fuel pressure sensors ect?

Customer:

I assume they did but not sure. I will ask them.

Customer:

Is the car worth getting fixed? Like I said the car is 18 years old has 103,000 miles and I only drive it 500 miles a year. It is a second care

Customer:

Are you still their?

SNAPONTECH :

yes

SNAPONTECH :

You should fix it and sell it there is a simple thing for everything but not having the ability to test makes it difficult

SNAPONTECH :

Based on what you have stated this can be a few different things

Customer:

Can you give me any ideas on where to look? Should I take it to the dealer?

SNAPONTECH :

I suspect it to be one of four the cam sensor is worn out the ignition module is worn out the timing is off. The last is the mass airflow sensor

SNAPONTECH :

Now if you have a shop with a scan tool they should be able to quickly diagnose the issue

Customer:

How much do you think it would cost to get fixed?

SNAPONTECH :

I have seen a few of these issues ended up being a bad maf but also a worn cam sensor just enough to throw the timing off and on off and on

SNAPONTECH :

I would suspect 1 hour of labor from a certified tech to give you 100 accurate diagnosis so based on there rate now 1 of the above your looking at around 100-200 unless its maf you would want to get it from the internet they want to much at dealer

SNAPONTECH :

Now thats what I suspect now some shops will cut you a break on diagnosis if they do the repair

SNAPONTECH :

Cam sensor would be like 50 bucks and 15 mins to install

Customer:

Thanks I will take the info to my guy and see what he says

SNAPONTECH :

No problem. If you found this information helpful. Please kindly press ACCEPT. Thanks in advance Danny