Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1993 pontiac grand am: quad..ran great..wouldnt start..the ecm or e

Customer Question
have 1993 pontiac grand am...
have 1993 pontiac grand am quad 4 5 speed put new timing set in and ran great the next day wouldn't start. changed the crank position sensor, checked ignition module and coils
their good. could it be the ecm or e-prom? i tried one of those odb 1 testers got the flashing codes all wrong. can you help?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Car
8/1/2011
Auto Mechanic: Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech. replied 6 years ago
Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.

Kalamykid :

where you able to retrieve the codes at all?

Customer:

yes didn't understand the flashes

Kalamykid :

the check engine light will flash the first digit code then have a small pause and then the secode digit of each code with a longer pause btween the first and second code.

Kalamykid :

If you woudl redo the test and wright down the number of flashes for me and I will desifer the codes for you.

Kalamykid :

Each code is a two digit code. Take code 43 it would show up like this ,, flash, flash, flash, flash flash, flash, flash. then the next code.

Customer:

it will about a half hour ok

Kalamykid :

It will be fine if it takes you about a half hour, i will still be here. Do you know how to get back to this chat screen when you get back>

Customer:

not sure

Kalamykid :

The easiest way is to look in your email and there will be an email form just answer. In that email is a link "get your answer here" Just click on the link and it will brring you right back here.

Kalamykid :

then post a message to me so i will know you have returned

Customer:

hello the only code I'm getting now is 12 with key in the on position

Kalamykid :

code 12 is the code tat is given when you have interned into the pcm to retrieve the codes. When you replaced the timing chain and gears, did you also replace he guids and the timing chain tentioner?

Kalamykid :

Also how many times did the code 12 flash out? It shoudl have done it 6 times.

Kalamykid :

It should have flashed code 12 3 times with a long pause after the third time, then if no codes where set it woudl have flashed 3 more times.

Customer:

yes replaced sprockets, chain, tentioner and guides

Customer:

yes, I think that's what it did. I can do it agin

Kalamykid :

Please do it again just to be sure.

Customer:

yes, it 12 three times and pauses and code 12 three more times. also the cooling fan runs when this is going on

Kalamykid :

then there are no trouble codes set, and the fans shoudl come on during the code retrieval.

Kalamykid :

The first thing you need to do will be to do a compression test on all 4 cylinders.

Kalamykid :

If you do not have a compression tester you can rent one from most auto parts stores, and when you return them they will give you all your money back.

Customer:

I rebuilt it 3 years ago and it's been across the country a couple of times. just got back from ohio

Kalamykid :

But we need to know if the timing is correct, and a compresion test is much easier then pulling the front cover off.

Customer:

yes, I know I made sure when put the new timing set in

Kalamykid :

Please do the compression test so we know for sure what is going on.

Customer:

ok

Kalamykid :

i ubnderstand you made sure it was correct when you put it together, but if the tensioner lost pressure the timing coould have jumped.

Customer:

understand, I also replaced the oil pump, mains and rod bearings

Kalamykid :

I have had trouble out of aftermarket tensioners for this engine. I only use new form the dealer parts now as i have had to replace two engines due to the timing chain jumping time

Customer:

the timing was from melling do think i got a bad set

Kalamykid :

It is posible that the tensioner is bad, The compression test will let me know fo sure where to go to to solve this problem

Customer:

the engine does spin like it doesn't have any compression thanks

Kalamykid :

Let me know what the compression test results are for each cylinder please.

Customer:

i'll call back

Kalamykid :

Thank you

Kalamykid
Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.