gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

Lincoln continental: car back..50 miles to the gallon..plastic

Customer Question

Years ago, early 80's, My uncle bought a lincoln continental off of a ford showroom floor. Everyday, for years, ford called to beg him to please bring the car back. The reason was that he was getting 50 miles to the gallon because of the plastic polymer carburetor. years went by and eventually the carburetor quit working, so he had his mechanic try to fix it. the mechanic gave up and gave it back to my uncle and said he had no idea what to do with it. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You might try last weeks episode of "Car Talk" , This months edition of Popular Mechanics or Snopes.com for more on this urban legend.

Let me know how I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did you call this an urban legend? I'm not a kid, I'm 58 years old.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
maybe I should send you a picture
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Yes it is a well know urban legend and well documented at the sites I referred you to.

I am not a kid either being 57 and have heard the legends about the 200 MPG carburetors since I was ten.

Sorry if this offends you but do the research at the sites I posted and you will see the legend unfold.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I didn't say 200. That would be an urban legend. I said 50 and I have the damn thing sitting on my desk.
As far as those sites you sent me I cant find what you're talking about, but doesn't really matter, does it? What's it got to do with me and the question?
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Sorry I can't help you Detroit never produced a 3 ton vehicle that got 50MPG. That is the stuff of legends.

I will OPT OUT and wish you luck with your chase

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You are missing the point. The car wasn't mass produced. They put the car on the show room floor by accident. They called us every day for years to bring it back. What gave it the mileage was the square plastic carburetor. Once the plastic carburetor wore out we just put a standard carburetor on it and we were good. Hello?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 5 years ago.

If you could post a picture of this it would help- just click on the "paperclip" icon above the dialogue box.

BTW, HERE is a a link to the Snopes.com story