Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

plymouth..fuel pressure, new asd, new mani..dist. pump, new plugs

Customer Question

code 11 on 1988 plymouth voyager...have strong spark, fuel pressure, new ASD, new mani. dist. pump, new plugs ... NO START
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

Is this the 4 cyl or 6 cyl ??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
4 cyl 2.5l
Expert:  Neal replied 6 years ago.
Based on your info it sounds like the timing belt has jumped time. That will cause a code 11

You have addressed all the other issues that could cause a code 11
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Neal, I checked the timing belt...as it was slowly jogged around...looks new.. no wear. If it isn't worn or frayed, is there a chance it still would have jumped?
Expert:  Neal replied 6 years ago.
Yes a timing belt can lose teeth and the rest of it will look like new. I would be checking it out closer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will go out and review the belt again. Can I hold off on the "accept" button until then?
Expert:  Neal replied 6 years ago.
That is up to you. I will continue to work with you after you accept.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Neal, I got a neighbor to come over and look at the timing belt, as well; he also said that it looked new and with no missing ribs. We decided to check compression....wa la....50, 120, 90,90 / 1,2,3,4 cyls. This is why there was no firing.
Expert:  Neal replied 6 years ago.
That was going to be my next suggestion. Compression can be off due to a bad valve or the timing being off. Don't be fooled just because the belt looks new.
Expert:  Neal replied 6 years ago.
Even though the one cylinder is low the other three are enough to run and it should be running on three cylinders if that was all that was wrong.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Neal, I'm pulling the head and should have it back by weekend. I'll be back with you then.
Expert:  Neal replied 6 years ago.
OK, let me know what you find. If you want to accept before the question times out I would appreciate it and will continue to work with as needed. I can provide you with torque values and such if needed.
Expert:  Neal replied 6 years ago.
Just replying to keep the question from timing out, no need to reply.