Rover Pro
Rover Pro, Service Advisor
Experience:  15 years automotive experience as a technician, parts pro and currently a Land Rover service advisor
42270465

The mass air flow sensor, turbo charger (ceased..filters..diagnostic

Customer Question

2003 land rover discovery 2 TD5 engine;
lacks power on uphill grades (cannot even maintain speed), surges if foot feed is depressed to quickly ane only stops surging if the foot feed is released and then "eased" into.
Have replaced the mass air flow sensor, turbo charger (ceased to function), have had all filters and fluids changed at land rover shop and full diagnostic (any way I paid for it)
Category: Car
Expert:  Rover Pro replied 6 years ago.

Rover Pro :

Hi there,

Rover Pro :

Is the check engine light on? and if it is, is it flashing? It sounds like you could have an ignition coil or ignition wire problem. If the check engine light is not on it could have a fuel pump getting weak. A plugged catalytic convert will also cause this problem because the exhaust is partially plugged.

Rover Pro :

I hope this helps!

JACUSTOMER-o045mzxc- :

There are no engine lights on, and I don't think diesels have ignition coils or Cat. converters. The problem is very intermittent. Some times it runs like you can pull down a house and other times (like yesterday morning) with cruise on the engine surged all the way to work (even on the flats) but driving home in the evening ran like a champ even accelerating up hill!

Rover Pro :

I apologize, I didn't realize it was a diesel, we don't have those in the United States so I don't think I am qualified to answer your question.

JACUSTOMER-o045mzxc- :

Yes from your answer I thought you may have missed that. But here in South Africa the diesel is the most common.

JACUSTOMER-o045mzxc- :

I have tried the LR dealership in Whitbank, but LR dealers are notorious for less than stellar service . Thank you for answering anyway. Have a great day,

JACUSTOMER-o045mzxc- :

I am still having the power loss and surge problem when driving up a grade. I am currently checking into buying a diagnostic tool for my land rover as I think the land rover dealerships here in South Africa

JACUSTOMER-o045mzxc- :

Are really up on diagnostics. I may go to a land rover repair shop that specializes in "upgrading" the turbo diesels programing and see if they can diagnose the problem.The problem may be the intake manifold pressure sensor or perhaps the waste gate control module or even something like low fuel delivery pressure.