Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

We just got a new battery today for our 99 range rover 4.6.

Customer Question
now we locked the care...
we just got a new battery today for our 99 range rover 4.6. now we locked the care and the remote key will not work
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/2/2011
Auto Mechanic: SNAPONTECH, Technician replied 6 years ago
SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician

SNAPONTECH :

Welcome to Justanswer

SNAPONTECH :

You will need to reprogram the keyless remote

Customer:

great. we are trying to do that but have not had luck so far. can you walk us through the process?

SNAPONTECH :

Do you have the one or two button remote?

Customer:

two button

SNAPONTECH :

Put the key in the lock turn it to the lock position then keeping it in that position press the lock button, then turn it to the unlock postion and press the unlock button while still keeping the key in the unlock position.Sometimes you have to do this a few times to get it to work.

SNAPONTECH :

Let me know how it goes

Customer:

ok. we are trying it. so far nothing. do you have to hold down either side any length of time? we think turning right is locked position. do you know?

SNAPONTECH :

Resynchronization is accomplished by performing a key lock or unlock within 30 seconds of requesting a remote lock, superlock, or unlock. The BeCM senses the change in state of the "CDL" (Central Door Locking) switch in the driver's door to initiate resynchronization. This is what I found from the book so this has to work

SNAPONTECH :

I have done one before I was hitting the unlock and turned the key left right left right left right then it synced

SNAPONTECH :

3 times while hitting the button the whole time

Customer:

hmmm. ok. we will try that.

SNAPONTECH :

ok standing by

Customer:

ok. my father in law was trying to bring us the car. our direction to him has not worked. we are enroute to him now. it may take us a few minutes to get to the car for us to try this ourselves.

SNAPONTECH :

Ok just let me know

Customer:

when you tried this you only held in the unlock button, not toggle back and forth between lock and unlock buttons?

SNAPONTECH :

Just the unlock

SNAPONTECH :

here's a code you can try. If it does not work

Meanwhile:

1. Starting conditions: ignition off, doors unlocked, hood switch depressed.
2. Carry out instructions 3. to 9. within 8 seconds.
3. Switch ignition ON.
4. Switch ignition OFF.
5. Lock doors.
6. Unlock doors.
7. Release hood switch.
8. Switch ignition ON.
9. Switch ignition OFF.

If alarm is correctly accessed, horn will sound and LED will light. It is now possible to program two handsets of correct frequency to vehicle alarm ECU. This must be carried out within two minutes.

10. Press and hold down button on first handset until dash LED flashes.
11. Repeat instruction 10. for second handset.
12. The LED will extinguish if both handsets have been programmed correctly.

Customer:

ok. we will try that part. we did not understand what you said about needing to do this within 30 seconds of requesting a lock or unlock. does that mean we need to do the standard remote unlock attempt and then this procedure?

SNAPONTECH :

Try what I just sent to you

Customer:

....our car is currently locked and we can not get into it. would this apply?

SNAPONTECH :

You are unable to get into the car at all?

Customer:

correct. he was bringing it to us from the dealer, then made an errand stop. he locked the car and now it will not unlock.

SNAPONTECH :

So your completely locked out cant get into the truck or anything?

Customer:

right. we are on vacation and our land rover broke down. we had it at the dealer getting a new fuel pump and borrowed our fathers car so we could vacation. he pickd up the car and was bringing it to us. for some reason it locked but now will now unlock. we presume it has to do with the fact that we got a new battery today....

SNAPONTECH :

The problem is the car should unlock I am wondering if the battery went dead or is not connected tight and will not allow power to the locks manually

SNAPONTECH :

So I assume the hood is closed and none of the doors will open manually with the key

SNAPONTECH :

Try all of them and the rear door as well

SNAPONTECH :
Jack it up and clip a battery charger (positive) onto the starter motor positive battery wire, and negative to the block. Just in case the battery has gone dead because the door should open with the key
Customer:

hmmm. we think he locked the car manually from the passenger side when he got out of the car. we are close to the location of the vehicle so we will try these things.

SNAPONTECH :

There is no programming to use the key but I know the locks are most likely vacuum or power activated

SNAPONTECH :

So if battery is dead or the connection was not tight and no power then it will not open the door

SNAPONTECH :

I am thinking of everything possible here I know how it is to be stranded on holiday weekend sucks

SNAPONTECH :

So I will do everything I can to help

Customer:

thank you. you make a lot of sense. we will try as many of these as we can.. should be there in literal moments.

SNAPONTECH :

One more thing

SNAPONTECH :

Full Size Image

SNAPONTECH :

THE ONLY ONE I SEE IS Unlock once
lock 5 times,
unlock once,
and then lock 5 times.

SNAPONTECH :

The lockout can be 30 mins on US model

SNAPONTECH :

So you may have to wait 30 mins then do the above

SNAPONTECH :

KEY TOWARDS FRONT OF CAR IS LOCK AND RIGHT IS UNLOCK

SNAPONTECH :

Hope you got this ingo

SNAPONTECH :

let me know asap

Customer:

so far nothing we are trying the later suggestion

SNAPONTECH :

You have to do what I just said

SNAPONTECH :

this was hard to find

SNAPONTECH :

Its probably locked out right now from the attempts before

Customer:

trying earlier suggestion again but the last one confused us as to how to do it.

SNAPONTECH :

You see the link how you have to do it in sequence so after its not in lock down mode could be 10-30 mins not 100 sure in that you will do this in the lock cylinder drivers side

SNAPONTECH :

1. To enter the first digit, turn the key the required number of times to the unlock position.

2. To enter the second digit, turn the key the required number of times to the lock position.

3. To enter the third digit, turn the key the required number of times to the unlock position.

4. To enter the fourth digit, turn the key the required number of times to the lock position.

SNAPONTECH :

Unlock once
lock 5 times,
unlock once,
and then lock 5 times.

SNAPONTECH :

thats the code

SNAPONTECH :

once to the left right 5 times once to the left then to the right 5 times again

SNAPONTECH :

This should work if its the right code

SNAPONTECH :

Like I said if its been locked can take 10-30 mins you will have to wait before you can enter this code

Customer:

we tried it and nothing. could be locked from attempts but is there something we are to try like trying to unlock with remote before we do the code part?

SNAPONTECH :

No this is the only way you will be able to do it

Customer:

ok. thank you. we have a locksmith coming too. maybe between your instructions and his knowledge we can get it

SNAPONTECH :

He probably wont be able to do anything with this vehicle

SNAPONTECH :

This is to keep people out its pretty good at it but the code I gave you should work its like the default code

SNAPONTECH :

I have also read
Remove battery from keyfob, and press keyfob button for approx 10 seconds.
This will exhaust all power from fob.
Then fit battery's back into fob, and see if it will work.

SNAPONTECH :

This is a write up on the issue others have been there

SNAPONTECH :

You will probably have to wait 30 mins without touching it then enter the code I told you 1515 in sequence locksmith will have a hard time deactivating this system

SNAPONTECH :

So just set a timer wait out the 30 mins because everytime you try again the timer will start over and since you cannot disconnect the battery you have to wait it out

Customer:

ok.. makes sense. thank you for your help. if we get in sounds like we will need to take it to the dealer....if/when we get back home to get some settings reestablished. thanks for your help

SNAPONTECH :

If for some reason this code does not work I am hoping it does you will have to get the one from your dealer is what i am told which tuesday is a long wait. But once it unlocks the key fobs are easy to activate

Customer:

thank you very much. the locksmith just got us into the car yeah!!!! we will go to the dealer as soon as we are back in town. catheryn

SNAPONTECH :

So if you want to end this session and pay me for my efforts you can hit accept then to reply to me you go to my questions above and you will see this question and can reply for free but thats the only way we get paid on here is when you hit accept.

SNAPONTECH :

Let me know if you need anything else if not please hit accept.. Thanks Danny

SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician
SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician