Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

mini cooper..open ignition switch with a screwdriver..assembly..popped

Customer Question

have 2003 mini cooper ---- daughter "borrowed" car without permission and to make it look like it was stolen tried to "jack" open ignition switch with a screwdriver
the trim piece that goes just on top of ignition assembly and before the black trims popped out.
how do i get the black trim piece off to put the trim back on and replace the black hard plastic pieces?
thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Can I please have the last 7 digits of the vin to verify for you?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
TE17147

2003 Mini Hatchback
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

are you referring to the parts in the below image circled?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, BUT, that appears to be a BMW ignition lock and mine is a Mini Cooper. There are differences and on mine it has parts that are not shown in your diagram.
1. lock face more forward than on side
2, a "retainer" prox 2ins long runs from front of lock down column and that specifically is what I am trying to remove so I can replace the final trim part of the actual lock before all of the trim. it almost appears that you coul unsnap it much like how you "unsnap" the retainer to replace a tail light bulb.

Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

that is a diagram based on your vin, it is a mini diagram

do you see what you are referring to below?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Steve
Let's go with that diagram --- it is small, but looks enough like the general assembly to probably be it.
r