Tom Neff
Tom Neff, Technician
Experience:  ASE certified, 30 + years of Automotive experience, previous SR71 aircraft mechanic, factory trained
7314103

fuel tank with diesel upto max (when the hose auto cuts..smell

I have a Discovery Serengeti and have a slight problem with it.
When I fill the fuel tank with diesel upto max (when the hose auto cuts) I seem it have a leak from the very top side of the tank.
I cannot smell diesel inside the car, but the diesel spills from both sides of the tank - it doesn't appear to leak once about 5/10 litres has been used.
What could it be as I can't see anything up there?
Thanks and Regards
Mark
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom Neff replied 6 years ago.

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you.

What you have described is a problem with the sending unit o ring that goes directly under the sending unit and seals the fuel tank and allows the sending unit to be removed for service. The other possibility could be the vapor vent valve seal also located on the top of the fuel tank. What will have to be done is to have the vehicle de fueled then the fuel tank will have to be removed for inspection. Not a simple task. One simple task that you coud preform prior to the tank removal would be to look at the fill neck hose to see if you see any fuel leaking at the clamp area. If so tighten it up, refuel vehicle and you may have saved yourself bunch of money.

Hope this helps. please click on the ACCEPT button if I have answered all your questions. Please ask if you need more assistance Bonus is always appreciated . I will post positive feed back for you, please do the same for me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just to let you know, it was the sealing ring from the sender unit that had perished - Thanks for your advice - invaluable :O)