David DeLeon
David DeLeon, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience, Currently Shop Foreman at VW Dealer
5856072

2006 vw passat: turbo..the hydraulic pressure on the caliper piston

I'm replacing the rear brake pads on a 2006 vw passat 2.0 liter turbo. I am unable to release the hydraulic pressure on the caliper piston with a clamp of sorts. This a first however, this is also the first time on work on a vw newer than 1974.
This car is not like a normal car, due to the electronic parking brake feature. You can not service rear brakes without the scanner to communicate with the parking brake that allows you to place the vehcle brake system in a service mode. Without this you will damage the calipers if you try to force them back in. You will need to take the vehicle to a dealer or a repair facility that has the proper computer system to communicate with the vehicle. Sorry to advise you of this, but there is no other way around that. I would suggest that if you are going to be working on VW/Audi vehicles, you might want to invest in a program called VAG-COM made by Ross-Tech. This program is loaded on a laptop or home computer that can be plugged into the vehicle. The program does almost everything the factory scanner will do. With this system you can service the brakes on your car.