Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1999 Isuzu Rodeo: starts every..one click..gear shift..cannot shift

Customer Question
I have a 1999 Isuzu...
I have a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo which is reliable and starts every time but in order to start it you must turn the key one click, then push the button on the gear shift in, then fully turn the key while holding the button in and continuing to do so in order to shift.

If you do not hold the button in the whole time you cannot shift.

What is wrong with her?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Car
6/1/2011
Auto Mechanic: Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech replied 6 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech

Hello!

Are you saying that the engine does not crank over at times?

Have you checked power down to the starter when this happens?

the engine always turns over but you have to first turn the key one partial rotation then hold in the button then turn the key completely while holding in the button. without doing this the car will start but you cannot get it out of park
WHat button are you talking about?
on the gear shift
Gotcha!

So it will start all of the time but it will not come out of park unless you press this button while starting the vehicle?

yup. to start the car you

1. turn the key one click

2. push button on gear shift in -continue to hold it

3. turn key completely

4 while holding button in shift out of park - if you let the button out, it locks in park and will not shift

WOW.. it sounds to me like you might just have a bad ignition switch or maybe a bad shift interlock solenoid. I do not know for sure because I have not come across this exact problem. I will leave this question open for other experts that may be able to assist you better.
cool thanks
Auto Mechanic: Tom, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Ok when you step on the brake do you here a clicking noise ? Was there any transmission work done to the truck ?
no transmisson work done. no clicking noise.
Ok if there is no clicking noise when stepping on the brake make sure you have brake lights first to rule the switch out if there are brake lights the problem is the shift interlock solenoid has most likely shorted out and this will need to be checked next. It can also be the gear selector on the transmission itself . These need to be checked next . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician