Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

EVO X anti theft kill switch

i would like to protect my 2008 EVO X from theft by installing a secret kill switch. I am thinking about using a 12vdc n/o relay contact in series in the starter motor power supply. I am open to suggestion with explanation. Security and stealth are my primary concerns. cost of parts and labor are not a concern i am an elevator mechanic. I am interested in a more sophisticated and reliable circuit.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 6 years ago.
Hello

I'd leave the starter motor circuit alone as its easy to get jump cables onto that and spin it up that way, plus the main power line handles a lot of current so you don't want to break into that

far more secure to break into the line from the crank speed senor as this will prevent the engine from running this just needs a secreted toggle switch under the dash to make / break the sensor feed wire
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would prefer to avoid "tapping into" any circuit that is a computer input/output or data
1) don't want any warranty issues
2) what if the cut off happens while I'm driving
3) what if it fails in a way that harms computer

Got any ideas with wiring diagram?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Matt,
I'd like to add that I know electronics I install and repair elevators. I'm just not that familiar with Japanese cars.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 years ago.
hello

in that case I'd suggest breaking into the fuel pump supply instead

I don't have a wiring diagram for this car but if you locate the pump relay under the bonnet and go from there

the relay map should be marked on the underside of the fusebox lid