sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

96 DODGE: BACKING..THE REAR DRUMS TO ADJUST THE BRAKES..METAL..RUBBER

Customer Question

I HAVE A 96 DODGE 1500 - IT HAS NO HOLES IN THE BACKING PLATE OF THE REAR DRUMS TO ADJUST THE BRAKES TO REMOVE THE DRUM WHY IS THAT. THE LEFT METAL IN PLACE OF RUBBER PLUGS. I TRIED A HAMMER AND CHISEL , THAT DIDN'T WORK.
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

THese originally didn't have punched out holes for adjuster access. You'll see where the adjuster hole is in the backing plate, a normal oval shaped indent where you'd expect to see a rubber plug. All you have to do is pop the metal piece out with a chisel and hammer, and then install a plug in it when you're done. I know you said you already tried this, but it's just a matter of hitting it hard enough to knock the metal piece out. It will pop out if it's hit hard enough.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I used about 5lb. small sledge and a big chisel it didn' help. I think that should of done it. I am going to try a puller next. I will go ahead and accept your answer so you can get paid.
I am an old farm boy so I think I know how hard to to hit it. Thank you for your answer.
They'll definitely pop out with a hard enough hit. You have to hit them hard enough to rip the metal areas that hold the pieces to the backing plate. A five pound sledge and a wide flat chisel should pop them out without too much trouble, hitting them from the outside in while the drums are off. Good luck!