Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

1987 suzuki samurai: the alternator bracket..jumping..batt

I have an 1987 Suzuki Samuri,was replacing the alternator bracket forgot to undo the battery when I got a spark from the alt. And now I have no power to start,I tried jumping it still no start.
I also c I have batt. Power but I have no power fo the light,clock or horn,what should I ck nxt?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

Your vehicle has fusible link wires on it that feed power to the vehicle.These should be on a smaller wire at the alternator.

The fusible link would be different then the rest of the wiring on this cable.It might be white/yellow.

See if this wire has burned,if no visible damage is seen on this wire give it a tug and see if it stretches or breaks.If it does then you can purchase another fusible link wire from a parts store and remove this one that has failed from the wire and install the new one.

This is common for this concern on your vehicle and there is a bulletin out on this being a problem.The bulletin number is XXXXX(R).

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I c no burn marks and if I have to replace that white/yellow wire would I have to replace it all seem like its very long and is runing alone the rest of the wireharnes.
Is this what gives me my power supply,agan no pwr.
The white wire that comes from the alt. Is attached to the whitel/yellow wire how do I diagnose futher I don't c any burn marking on the w/y wire
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
This wire does provide power and can cause this problem.Even though you don't see any burns or breaks in it try pulling on it in several different spots,if it breaks near the alternator or near the battery then the fusible link that breaks needs replaced.

You don't have to replace the entire wire just the fusible link wire section that breaks,you can purchase one of these at a local parts store and put it in place after cutting the old one out.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Got it it was the connection of the alt to the batt. It somehow came appart,it works now just gonna repair that mistake thanx for ur input u gave me the hint to ck that connection,thanx a lot for ur help.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
Your welcome,if that connection is broke it needs replaced as this is actually a fuse,the wire is a fuise itself,if you reattach it the way it is then if you have a short someday it will burn up the whole wire and may cause other damage to electrical components.

If I have assisted please click accept as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!