Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Natural gas converion for our car and truck fleet..refilling

Customer Question
natural gas converion for our...
natural gas converion for our car and truck fleet. information please for who can do change-over and location of refilling depots in ontario and set up of depot at our place of business. thank you.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Car
5/3/2011
Auto Mechanic: Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer replied 6 years ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer

Dr. Hamman :

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

CNG systems are a good choice for fuel. If you currently have a fleet and want to run CNG You need to be in a location where you can buy CNG or install a CNG filling station where the vehicles sit at night. Filling a vehicle with CNG is a slow process, and cant be done fast like filling up with gas or diesel. It takes hours for a complete fill. That is why it is good to install a CNG filling station where the vehicle spends the night. In a pinch you can take on quite a bit of fuel in 30 minutes to an hour. Conventionally fueled vehicles that have been converted to CNG can be setup to use the original fuel gas/diesel, or CNG. This is important because if you don’t have the time to fully fuel with CNG or you run out of fuel in a location where CNG isn’t available you can drive on gasoline until you can refill the CNG tank. The installation of a CNG fuel system is pretty basic for an automotive pro, if the system is purchased in kit form, so you do not need to find a specialty installer. Whoever is currently performing your maintainable, and repairs should be able to install the CNG system if you supply them with the complete kit. Also the filling stations that you buy, where you self fill are expensive, so you will want to research the costs for these before you proceed. Gasoline powered vehicles can run on straight CNG, but diesel powered vehicles need to burn a little diesel, as an ignition system for the CNG. What you need other than researching the filling station unit cost, is a source for the installation kits HERE, and a map of CNG filling station locations with prices HERE. With these links and a little research especially on the filling stations you should be able to decide if CNG is for you. Also the first link not only has the install kits it has lots of general CNG info. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Customer:

does not look like up to date refilling list.do compressors work with natural gas.

Dr. Hamman :

Yes the list isn't updated to often but it is sort of a baseline. If you are going to run CNG it takes some research and planing because of the limited access of fueling locations. Natural gas compresses just fine, but the challenge is to compress it without igniting it. Any time you compress a gas, air included it heats the gas up significantly. Diesel engines ignite their fuel by compression, so ignition of combustible gas is a very real and present danger if you don’t have a specialty filling system. Basically it is a computerized compressor carefully monitoring the filling of the tank, with all the safety features built in. So you cant just take a compressor and safely fill the tanks. CNG is a great resource if you can work within the confines it places on your fleet. I am not sure about Canada, you might want to check. Some governments are subsidizing the install of CNG equipment because of environmental issues, and it lessens the dependence of foreign crude oil. In the US there is/was a program that paid 50% of the cost of CNG filling stations. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer