Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Car is losing power going up a hill. Its gutless. What would I check?

Customer Question
My car is losing power...
My car is losing power going up a hill. Its gutless. What would I check?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Car
4/9/2011
Auto Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. When this happens, does engine feel like its shaking or vibrating like you are losing cylinders OR does the engine seem to run smooth, just no power on hills. Also,, engine size?

Engine seems to run just fine. Its a 2.8L V6
If the engine is running on all cylinders, runs failry good overall but loses power on inclines or hills. I really have to lean to a possible blocked cat converter or one becoming blocked. The " honeycomb" material inside will break down over time and when it does, its causes a partial blocakage, engine cant breathe and normally noticed under load lik up a hill but in most cases run ok otherwise. There is a tool to chack backpressure on each side of the cat converter to confirm but withour one, I can only lean to one becoming blocked. In your case one would have to remove the cat, road test and if ok, then replace the converter. Due to age and miles, this is very possible the problem. they do degrade over time
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
So myself and a few other are in agreeance that the engine is not breathing right... I've check all vacume lines and everything seems to be in order... sitting at an idle the engine sounds nice and is quite responsive... slow aceloration is fine but quick acel. and hills just bogg it down... also... it had old gas...not sure how much but I added an additive and 5 gallons of high octane... could bad gas be causing this as well???
Sorry for delat as i was off last night. Yes,100% bad gas can cause this, Most vehicles are hard to rid of old gas but I am failry sure yours has a drain plug on the fuel tank. I would drain it, add good gas, maybe an additive and run it for a bit. It could be bad gas, cat converter or timing adjustment but tend to reul that out if it was ok and no one was affecting the timing. Running smooth and not misfiring leads more to fule delivery or engine breathing. easiest and cheapest to start with fresh fuel
So I disconnected that cat converter... took it to the nearest hill and it has even less power...changing the fuel filter help increase the power on hills but it still wants to bog down and stall out...
Sorry but with several possibles, this is one of them and its ruled out, At this point I am thinking fule pressure test. May have eneough pressure to run engine ok at times but not enough when demand is high under load. Without fuel pressure guage makes this hard to diagnose. Its a low pressure system so pressure would regulate to around 18 psi under load. Fuel filter replace may? be a bit of a clue as there is also a fileter on the end of the fule pump. Possible is is partially blocked or the pump is getting weak
The fuel deliver system is one of the 3 things I haven't delt with....other than replacing my external fuel filter(which did help a little on hills)....I don't have a fuel pressure tester...but can get one...but I was wondering...could a weak battery, not give enough juice to the pump? making it not work as hard?....and could plug wires play a part in loss of power with no miss-fires?
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician