George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

The operating manual states pounds of detergent

I have a intercont parts/transmission washer. It is the large jet spray washer. The operating manual states "pounds of detergent" but does not specify what the detergent is.

What detergent should be used? We just clean mainly motorcycle parts.

What agent to use for rust preventative?

Thanks. Mike.
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You can use any low sudsing laundry detergent or the chemical suppliers of shop chemicals will have floor detergent that can be used. I would start with half the recommendation and move up if the parts are not coming clean but they should as long as the heater is working.

All ferrous parts will begin to rust as soon as you remove them from the washer, it depends on the application if you want to coat them with WD-40 to drive the water off them or if a light petroleum oil is better suited. The aluminum will oxidize as soon as it is exposed to the atmosphere so a plastic spray clearcoat on the external portions will keep that clean look. The inside will have a spray oil.

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you