Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  California smog licensed, ASE ceritied in L1, A6, A8 for over 30 years professionally
25319281

1992 subaru legacy: ign switch is turned off

1992 suburu legacy runs after ign switch is turned off . changed switch same problem ask 3 hrs ago no answer yet
Category: Car
Expert:  Jim replied 6 years ago.

Jim :

We have seen the alternator cause this problem. Unplug the connector to the alternator and retest.

Customer:

have already changed alt no change. only way to kill eng was to pull eng cont fuse

Jim :

At this point, we want to unplug the connector to the altenator and see what happens.

Customer:

unpluged alt no change. another bit of info when the batt is connected the outside marker lights also stay on

Jim :

Have only seen the alternator cause this type of problem, the other option would be a relay that is not shutting off and allow power to the cluster. I will research and see if I can come up with a relay that might be causing problem.

Customer:

thats my idea also thanks

Jim :

I am going to send you a pic of the igntion relay, I would check that next, I am going to switch you over to

Jim :

question and answers to do this.

Expert:  Jim replied 6 years ago.
graphic