Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Need to repl w/pump on a Chrysler 2.4L in a 2000 Chrysler Cirrus.

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Car
4/2/2011
Auto Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

please explain your question

thanks

I'm waiting for your answer

i don't understand the question..please explain

thanks

There is very little room between the engine & the rt strutinner fender or whatever it's called!

i think you need to replace the water pump..here are the directions

thanks

Breeze, Cirrus, Sebring Convertible and Sedan, Stratus Sedan, 1999-2005

Removal & Installation

• 2.0L AND 2.4L ENGINES
  • water pump
  • CAUTION Never open, service or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant. Also, when draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantities. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.

2.0L And 2.4L Engines

This engine uses a die-cast aluminum body water pump with a stamped steel impeller. The water pump bolts directly to the block. Cylinder block-to-water pump sealing is provided by a large rubber O-ring. The water pump is driven by the timing belt, that must be removed to service the water pump.

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
    2. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the left shock tower.
      NOTE The ground cable is equipped with an insulator grommet which should be placed on the stud to prevent the negative battery cable from accidentally grounding.

NOTE This procedure requires removing the engine timing belt and the auto-tensioner. The factory specifies that the timing marks should always be aligned before removing the timing belt. Set the engine at Top Dead Center (TDC) on No. 1 compression stroke. This should align all timing marks on the crankshaft sprocket and both camshaft sprockets.
    3. Drain the cooling system.
    4. Remove or disconnect the following:
      NOTE Do not disconnect the power steering fluid lines.

WARNING With the timing belt removed, DO NOT rotate the camshaft or crankshaft or damage to the engine could occur.

NOTE Do not allow the camshafts to turn when the camshaft sprockets are being removed.

Right inner splash shield Accessory drive belts and support the engine Right motor mount Power steering pump bracket bolts and move the pump/bracket assembly aside

Right engine mount bracket Timing belt front covers Timing belt tensioner and timing belt by loosening the tensioner screws

Camshaft sprockets

Rear timing belt cover
    5. FIG : When installing the water pump, properly Install the O-ring to ensure a tight seal-2.0L and 2.4L engines

image

6. To install:

1. Thoroughly clean all sealing surfaces. Replace the water pump if there are any cracks, signs of coolant leakage from the shaft seal, loose or rough turning bearings, damaged impeller or sprocket or sprocket flange loose or damaged.
      2. Install or connect the following:
        WARNING Be sure the O-ring is properly seated in the water pump groove before tightening the screws. An improperly located O-ring may cause damage to the O-ring and cause a coolant leak.

New rubber O-ring into the water pump

Water pump. Torque the bolts to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm)
      3. Pressurize the cooling system to 15 psi (103.4 kPa) and check for leaks. If okay, release the pressure and continue the engine assembly process.
      4. Install or connect the following:
        NOTE DO NOT allow the camshafts to turn while the sprocket bolts are being tightened to maintain timing mark alignment.

WARNING Do not attempt to compress the tensioner plunger with the tensioner assembly installed in the engine. This will cause damage to the tensioner and other related components. The tensioner MUST be compressed in a vise.

Rear timing belt cover Camshaft sprockets. Torque the bolts to 75 ft. lbs. (101 Nm)

Timing belt tensioner and timing belt. Properly tension the timing belt. Front upper and lower timing belt covers Right engine mount bracket and engine mount Crankshaft damper. Torque the center bolt to 105 ft. lbs. (142 Nm) Right inner splash shield Power steering pump bracket and power steering pump. Torque the bracket mounting bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm) Accessory drive belts. Properly tension the drive belts
      5. Refill and bleed the cooling system.
      6. Start the engine and check for proper operation.
      7. Check and top off cooling system, if necessary.

7. 2.4L Engine

2. Disconnect battery negative cable from remote negative terminal on shock tower and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
        CAUTION This operation must only be performed on a cold engine.
      3. Drain the cooling system.
      4. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Timing belt tensioner pulley Alternator brace Water pump and discard the gasket and O-ring
      5. FIG : Exploded view of the water pump-2.4L engine

image

6. To install:

1. Clean all mating surfaces of any residual gasket material
        2. Install or connect the following:

New O-ring gasket Water pump and torque the bolts to 117 inch lbs. (14 Nm) Alternator brace and torque the bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm) Timing belt tensioner pulley Negative battery cable
        3. Fill the cooling system to the proper level.
        4. Start the vehicle, check for leaks and repair if necessary.

This is a double overhead cam engine. Everything you posted is what I got from the Chiltons manual I took from the library. There is no inner fender panel to remove! Have you ever replaced a 2.4L w/pump from a 2000 Cirrus with the engine still in the vehicle?

i will opt out,,,maybe one of the other guys will be able to assist you bbetter..someone will be with you shortly

thanks

No, I happened to find someone @ Sears who has done this job & he told me what to do. Thanks anyway
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic