Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years Ford Lincoln/Mercury Jaguar dealership as a technician and shop foreman reparing all makes
10437779

Dealer says..both front control arms and ball joints..mileage

I have a 2006 Range Rover Sport with 81k. Dealer says I need to replace both front control arms and ball joints for $1300. Is this reasonable and is this a typical issue for this vehicle at this mileage? Thanks, Dan
Category: Car
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Sorry for the delay in getting to your question.

Did you have any noise or vibration issues? Did they say the ball joints have excessive movement?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There was popping sounds and they told me back in January that bushings were just about gone....they tightened up as much as they could claiming they didn't have parts. Said they would order BUT is was ok for me to drive. 74 days later, after repeated calls to service dept. they finally got parts after I continued to have suspension failure messages on computer....one serious with excessive vibration. Also told me ball joints were bad. This is the first time with any vehicle (since 70's) that I've had ball joints go out. Is this a LR issue? Common? Did I do more damage to vehicle by continuing to drive as dealer said I could? Trying to determine if I should repair or trade. Other than this, no other issues with vehicle. Thanks,
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
It really all depends on the type of driving but these bushings and ball joints wearing out on these trucks with under 100,000 miles is not very common. If the estimate you received is for both upper and lower control arms plus the labor and alignment the estimate is accurate for this repair. Have them inspect the truck for any other issues before performing these repairs. Also before authorizing any additional repairs let me know the cost estimate.