Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Clutch master..slave cylinder..gear change cables but changing gear is

Customer Question

i put a new clutch master an slave cylinder on my iveco daily and a new set of gear change cables but changing gear is still hard why
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 6 years ago.
Hello

I'd next check gearbox oil levels and if its not been changed in the last 20K miles then drain it off and fill with fresh. I can strongly recommend the use of Castrol SMX-S as I've known it help with shift issues on many manual gearboxes.

let me know how you get on
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Put oil in an no differance ????
Expert:  Matt replied 6 years ago.
Hello

the first thing to do is bleed the clutch hydraulics and ensure that you replenish the all fluid in the system and get any trapped air out

I favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times then holds it down whilst you then crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.
If you still have issues with the hydraulics and its good after bleeding but then gets worse after a few days / hours, then I'd try leaving the clutch pedal held down overnight by bracing the pedal against the seat base with a piece of wood or similar, this is to try and force the seals inside the slave to take a set in the right orientation as over time they can shrink and draw air back in when you take your foot off the pedal.

This shrinkage isn't enough to leak any fluid but the gap is big enough to draw air in (gas being harder to seal than fluid) if this doesn't work Ithen try replacing the flexible line to the slave as it may be expanding under pressure