Mechanic Martyn
Mechanic Martyn, Mechanic
Experience:  Advanced trade certificate in Automotive engineering
17982882

I have a 2000 range rover hse 4.

Customer Question

i have a 2000 range rover hse 4.6 one day after driving to the gym i went to my truck and my key-fob wasnt unlocking my truck so i tried to open it with my key the alarm went off i thought nothing of it and tried to turn on my truck but the engine disengage light came on my friend suggested disconecting the battery to reset the computer system didnt work so even tho i can still see the red light blinking in my key fob i thought maybe new batteries so i bought new battieries nothing what should i do i had it towed to my place its been sitting there for a week now
Category: Car
Expert:  Mechanic Martyn replied 6 years ago.
Hello
You have to go through the emergency unlock procedure

If the remote has failed or been lost and you try to open the door with just the mechanical key, the alarm will sound twice. (Of course, this does not make sense because you should be able to get into all models quite satisfactorily with just the mechanical key. Perhaps they are referring to situations when the remote has malfunctioned in a way that upsets the BeCM, or the alarm has been set off for some reason). If you then try to start the car, the message center will display "ENGINE DISABLED PRESS REMOTE OR USE KEY CODE". (This part makes sense on vehicles with passive immobilization, as described above, or perhaps if the alarm has been activated).

Make sure the doors, windows and bonnet/hood are closed, get out and lock the car again with the key. (Note: on 1996 and later models, you have to turn the key to the lock position four times for this step if the remote handset was not used to lock the vehicle). Then turn the key the required number of times according to the following sequence. (At each step the side lamps warning light on the dash will light to show it has recognized the input).

To enter the first digit, turn the key the required number of times to the unlock position.
To enter the second digit, turn the key the required number of times to the lock position.
To enter the third digit, turn the key the required number of times to the unlock position.
To enter the fourth digit, turn the key the required number of times to the lock position.
Turn the key to the unlock position to unlock the doors. The alarm will now be partially disarmed; if you try to open the hood the alarm will sound. After five incorrect attempts (3 for 1996 and later models) at this procedure, the BeCM goes into a 10 minute lockout mode (30 minutes for 1996 and later models), during which time the message center displays "KEY CODE LOCKOUT" and further attempts at EKA will not work.

If you don't have your key code the generic code 1515 will usually work.

The wonderful complexities of RangeRover.

regards
Mechanic Martyn
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do i just lock it 4 x and then enter 1515 or do i lock it 4 x remove key put in 1 remove key 5 remove key 1 remove key 5 ?

Hello again

Lock it 4x wait a second then do the sequence.

if you have the paperwork and the security card that came with the car it's on that.

Unfortunately not all of them are the same to confuse thieves.

regards

Mechanic Martyn