John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience
19563796

Chevy Tahoe: garage whos performed the transimission flushes..warning

I have 210000 miles on my Chevy Tahoe; I've had the transmission flushed every 70000 miles. It's due again but the garage who's performed the transimission flushes for me is warning me against it. I'm a believer in the flush and my fluid is in good condition and not indicating any signs of internal wear. Should I ignore the warning?
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

John :

Hello

John :

High mileage transmissions don't always like to be flushed since the flush does a fairly aggressive job of cleaning out the inside of the transmission and can be detrimental to the clutch packs on an older transmission. Since you have done flushes in the past you may be ok but at this mileage it is still a bit of a risk. You can always still safely do the transmission service the other way by dropping the pan and changing the filter. You don't get all the fluid out this way but you get a new filter and it is safer for a high mileage transmission.

John :

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

John :

Thank you.