John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience
19563796

Him to read, but he says NOTHING interests him but working on cars

Dear Everyone,
I teach High School English 11 and I have young man in class who wants to be a mechanic. I am trying to motivate him to read, but he says NOTHING interests him but working on cars. So, I would like to "tailor-make" a few assignments for him. Can any of you reccomend a great book, magazine, or blog that involves mechanics, working on cars, etc?

Thanks.

John :

Hello

John :

What about some car magazines (the better ones) like Road & Track? They have many articles, columns and tons of car stuff. At least to get him used to reading. I have not rear many good 'car stories' but it may be that fiction is not interesting to him. That seems to be somewhat common in this trade. If he likes fiction, and once he has some patience, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is a heavy read but also tremendous in life lessons and applies them to a motorcycle and the road trip the motorcycle in enduring in the book. Many of the 'trade journals' may go over his head as a beginner if he does not like fiction but its worth a shot. There are some other automotive history books that I am drawing a blank on now but I will get back to you with them.

John :

Let me know if I am on the right track here or not.

John :

Customer:

John,

Customer:

John, Thanks so much!! Can you give me some titles?

Customer:

Also, I considered Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, but I don't think he has the reading level. I think he, at the tender age of 16, is a pretty proficient mechanic. Also, it would be great if you could give me some reasons why a mechanic needs to be able to read and write proficiently. These are skills he feels he doesn't need.

Customer:

PS-You are awesome.

John :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a kid who has been there (ok, so I'm not a kid anymore) thank you for doing this for him.

John :

One suggestion (and more to come)

John :

Anything from Peter Egan. Side glances is a compilation of short stories and I would think a great place to start.

John :

More this evening...

John :

There are a lot of great books about Smokey Yunick, a stock car legend. However, after browsing through some of them I realized they are all very expensive. But if some of his reading would include online, perhaps writing a report, there is a lot of great info and amazing stories about him. He was truly an interesting character.

John :

Here is a great underdog story of a drag racer named John Force."The Straight Story of drag Racing's 300 MPH Superstar"

John :

Here is the story of another 'character' in the racing world. Mickey Thompson:The Fast Life and Tragic Death of a Racing Legend.

John :

I hope one or more of these finds it's mark with your student.

John :

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

John :

Customer:

John, Thanks so much! You have been a great help! My email is [email protected]. If you would like to check back in with my wayward student, just shoot me an email.

You are very welcome. I would love to hear how things go with him. The censors here do not allow me to see your email or any personal information about you so I did not get the email address. However, you can request me and post an update without having to accept.

How did it go? What books did you find? Sorry I could not get you email address but hopefully this message finds its way to you.