How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, ASE Master Technician
Category: Car
Satisfied Customers: 614
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience
Type Your Car Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

GM: vortec..3700 engine to determine a bent rod, bad valve or find out

Resolved Question:

Can you plug in to a GM vortec 3700 engine to determine a bent rod, bad valve or find out why it uses oil?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

John :


John :

The computer diagnostics would give you a misfire code for the cylinder with the problem (P030? - where the last digit, the question mark, would be the faulty cylinder) or P0300 for random misfire if you have a bent rod or valve problem. But it will not say 'bent valve' or 'bent rod'. Oil consumption would not appear in the On Board Diagnostics. If you are loosing oil it is either leaking or burning it.

John :

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions about this.

John :

Thank you, John.


I'm sure it's burning it but it isn't blue smoke and it isn't losing power what do you think it is and how much would it cost to repair?

John :

If you are hearing a noise and loosing oil then the only viable repair is a rebuild, or replace the engine with a low mileage used one or a re-manufactured engine from a company like Jasper. The price range is likely in the $3000 to $6000 range depending on what route you choose.

John and 3 other Car Specialists are ready to help you