Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1998 chevy lumina: a head gasket job..wire harness..yellow wire

I was doing a head...
I was doing a head gasket job on my 1998 chevy lumina with a 3.1L and there was a small wire harness with a white wire and a yellow wire just hanging there chilling out. It has connecters on both ends but I did not un hook them. So my question is where does it go? Whats it for? It's about 2 ft long.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/1/2011
Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.

Kalamykid :

Where did you find the wire harness? On the left or right hand side of the engine?

Kalamykid :

Are you sure the wire colors are yellow and white and not yellow and purple?

Customer:

Crap I'm sorry it's white and purple I believe and it was basically on the drivers side.

Kalamykid :

This wire harness will go to the cranck sensor on the right hand side of the engine to the ignition module.

Kalamykid :

the crank sensor is in the side of the block where the trasn runs down the side of the engine.

Customer:

Ok the ignition module is part of the coil correct?

Kalamykid :

the ignition modul is under the coils and has three plugs that run to it.

Customer:

Ok do you mind if I run out to my garage quick and see if I can find the two ends?

Kalamykid :

that is fine.

Customer:

Now is the crank sensor on the flywheel side or the dampner side?

Kalamykid :

no it is on the side of the block in the middle of the block

Kalamykid :

the side of the block closest to the fire wall not the radiator.

Customer:

ok so in the middle of the block towards the firewall. What a dumb place to put a crank sencor how does that eve read the crank?

Kalamykid :

the crack has a round wheel in the center of it that has square notches cut out of it. The sensor picks up on the cutouts.

Customer:

Oh got ya. Good thing you told me where the dern thing was I woulda sat there forever tryen to figure out what it was. Thanks for the help!

Kalamykid :

ylu are very welcome

Kalamykid :

soprry for the typo

Kalamykid :

You are very welcome

Customer:

And how do you know this info?

Kalamykid :

I can not count the number of times I have had to replace the wire harness, or done a head job on this engine.

Customer:

Lol ya ive done a few mostly intakes with this engine but I have never had the problem of haven two ends to this connector lol. Again thanks alot for the help.

Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Kalamykid
Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.