Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Voyager: V..intermittently..lose power..it is not getting enough fuel

I have a 1996 Plymouth...
I have a 1996 Plymouth Voyager 3.0 V-6. The engine will intermittently lose power while driving. Seems like it is not getting enough fuel. When it acts up it will usually maintain an idle, although rough, and when you press the accelerator it just nearly dies until you let off the pedal. Temperature does not seem to be a factor. Most times if I keep working with it, meaning any variety of turn it off and restart it several times to just playing with the pedal to try and get it above an idle and rev up, it will eventually come back to normal power and run perfectly. The next event may be minutes or hours away. It can be idling or on the freeway when it acts up.The fuel pump and filter have been replaced.
Your thoughts please.
3/1/2011
Alex
Alex, ASE Master Technician
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with your question.

Is the check engine light on? If so do you know the codes that are coming up?
Check engine light comes on, but only after I have tried to get the engine to rev up and as a result the engine will "pop" or backfire occationally as I press the pedal towards the floorboard......usually in frustration. The codes indicate running lean and once cleared the light doesn't come back on even it acts up and then starts running again.
This is most likely caused by restricted fuel injectors. This would explain the hesitation and back-firing. This would also explain why the engine is running lean even though the fuel pump and fuel filter have been replaced.

Before replacing the injectors, I would suggest trying a fuel injector cleaning. It is important that this service is done at the fuel rail and the cleaner is run directly through the fuel injectors. A lot of shops sell a "fuel system cleaning" that runs a solution through the intake and does not clean the fuel injectors themselves. This type of cleaning will not help your problem.

If after running the fuel injector cleaning the problems persist, you will most likely need to replace the fuel injectors.

Would restricted injectors be intermittent? When this condition is not happening the engine runs with full power and evrything is normal.

Thanks.

Yes problems with restricted injectors can be very intermittent.
However, it is also a good idea to check your basic tune items like spark plugs, spark plug wires, and distributor cap and rotor. If the vehicle hasn't had a tune-up in a while, it is definitely possible you're dealing with weak spark problems.

With that said, I'm still leaning towards a fuel injector problem because the engine runs lean. If you had a problem with weak spark, the engine would be running rich.
Alex
Alex, ASE Master Technician

Ok Alex, I'll give that a try. One more question. What are your thoughts about an intermittent fuel pressure regulator? Is that a possibility?

Thanks,

Joe

It is possible but unlikely to have an intermittent problem with the fuel pressure regulator. The engine would also be running rich with a fuel pressure regulator problem. You can try pulling the vacuum hose off of the fuel pressure regulator. If there is any fuel present in the vacuum hose the regulator is leaking and needs to be replaced.
Alex
Alex
Alex, ASE Master Technician