Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

54 plate C3 1.6 exclusive with a flat battery..braking..window

Hi I have a 54...
Hi I have a 54 plate C3 1.6 exclusive with a flat battery and broken door barrel. Is there anyway I can get in without braking a window.
2/1/2011
Matt, Engineer
Hello

I'd start by charging the battery - as you can't get into the car the easiest way to do this is jack the car up so you can get under the front.

locate the starter motor and the large power cable that runs to it - connect the positive battery charger lead to this terminal

then connect the charger negative lead to the metal of the engine block

This should complete the charging circuit and get some power into the battery allowing you into the car

Hi Matt, just spent the last two hours under the c3 there is no way I can get power to the starter motor.What next??? regards John
Hello John

I'm presuming that you've tried going in through the boot?

Alternatively if you can see the large power connection on the back of the alternator ( may have to remove the engine bay undertray 1st) then this too will give you a positive post for charging
There is no way I can get power to the car from the under side. You also said go in through the boot this is not possible as the is no key lock on it. regards John
Hello John

In that case I'd suggest contacting your local automotive locksmith as they will carry the tools to break into the car without damaging it

The other option is to break through the front grill and so access the bonnet latch cable alllowing you to release the bonnet and charge the battery
Matt, Engineer
Hi Got into the car by using a locksmith by far the best way to get in if this ever happens again. Thanks and Regards John
Glad to have been of some help
Matt, Engineer