Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Auto trans..O-Drive or 4th gear. it will only run on 3rd

Customer Question
I have a 2000 daewoo...
I have a 2000 daewoo leganza, auto trans. The car when is cold wont go on O-Drive or 4th gear. it will only run on 3rd.
Once the car will get warm it will run well and shift all gears. The problem is early morning when is cold it will not shift into overdrive.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
1/3/2011
Auto Mechanic: nabilc,
 replied 7 years ago
nabilc
Hello and welcome to JA!!!

I'm Billy and i will assist you with.

The first thing you should do would be to change the ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and filter.
This model should take up to 4 liters of "total fluid HX".
here is the drain location
Remove the plug, drain oil, then remove the sump, access the filter and replace it.
Use a new gasket and refit the sump.
Then refill from the dipstick:
click here for location

Once you have done that, turn engine on, go through all gears slowly, stopping 5 seconds on each..then go for a ride, make sure the engine is warm, then put the vehicle on P, and remove dipstick and make sure level is correct.

Happy new year!

Regards,
Billy
I have done ATF/ filter/gasket about 3 months and it was running fine. The problem started when the cold wheather arrived (weird).
Auto Mechanic: nabilc,
 replied 7 years ago
Hello again,

- did you use proper ATF (Total fluid HX) when servicing was done?
- is the fluid level correct on dipstick (you need to have car warm, and engine on, and lever on P, and then check level on dipstick)?
Top up fluid if necessary (use only Total fluid HX).

Regards,
Billy

Yes, Everything was done propertly. The car runned well and still does, once the car is warm or it has runned for more than 15 to 20 minutes( on 3rd gear) the transmition will shift into overdrive and it will runs well for the rest of the day.

The problem is when the car gets or is cold (after sitting all night or about 2 to 3 hrs) the car will act up again, until it gets warm or running for about 20 minutes.

The transmission was serviced by aamco.

Auto Mechanic: nabilc,
 replied 7 years ago
Hello again,

In that case, you most probably have some sludge built up on the overdrive solenoid, and this would stay stuck, until getting some warm oil on it.

One other reason, would be that the transmission control module would not allow overdrive until normal operating temperature is reached.....

Regards,
Billy
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Auto Mechanic: nabilc,
 replied 7 years ago
Well if the vehicle has been with you for some time, and in cold weather it did not do this before, it means, that there is sludge built up on the overdrive solenoid....

Regards,
Billy

PS: if you feel that the answer is not helpful, i will opt out, and let another expert help you, hopefully to a more satisfactory solution........
Will this means the I need to replace solenoid or get another ATF Flush and new fluid?
Auto Mechanic: nabilc,
 replied 7 years ago
If the vehicle did not used to do this when cold.....
Then the first thing you should try, would be to get an ATF flush, and put new fluid and filter.
And if that does not work, you would need to remove the control valve, clean it, replace the seals, and if need be replace the overdrive solenoid.

Regards,
Billy
nabilc
nabilc
nabilc
nabilc