Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2001 Trooper LS: LIMP mode, Reduce Power and Check Engine light comes

Customer Question
2001 Trooper LS, three codes...
2001 Trooper LS, three codes P1125, P1295 and P1515. Ireplaced the TPS and trouble still exist. After drivin awhile, the car goes into LIMP mode, Reduce Power and Check Engine light comes on. We did run our of gas before all this started, I also added transmission fluid. Help please.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
1/2/2011
Auto Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

Check the continuity of the Red and Black wires, between the Throttle Actuator Motor (TAC) and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Wiggle and twist the wires and connector to these circuits while testing their continuity. Trouble codes P1125 and P1295 indicate the PCM is in default mode. Repair the cause of code P1515 first. This code indicates the PCM sent a command to move the throttle, but it didn't see an increase in the throttle angle. We have had several problems on these vehicles due to wire harness faults. If you replace the harness, problem should be solved.....Otherwise you will need to test wiring and replace wire as needed. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.

I understand, but why does it run, I clear the codes, and then it runs again? I could drive the car for about tweleve miles before it goes into limp mode? You would think that if it is the wire harness it would have this problem from the start and not even run?
It must be a intermitten connection that takes a few small bumps before it sets.....Clear the codes and wiggle the wiring and when code sets you know the wiring is in that area.....You can also spray salt water on wiring until problem sets then replace wire .Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Dan, Technician