Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2001 Suzuki Grand vitara: idle..a light knocking sound under the hood

Hi, I have a 2001...
Hi, I have a 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7 and when it is idle there seems to a light knocking sound under the hood. I started noticing this when a family member herd it. It has been sounding a little weird after I start it.

Yesterday, I drove it to work and when I got out I started it and the lights in the car came on and off and the engine did make a noise. I tried a second time and it did the same thing. Then I tried a third time and it started but I saw some smoke come out for a brief moment. I tried to back out turning my steering wheel an and it was hard to get it to turn all the way to maneuver. I have never had this happen. Also when I turn on the heat in my car some fumes are coming in it almost smells like a burning coming through the vents.

This morning when I started my car it was fine. Steering is still hard when having to turn the wheel, but curves are not hard. I also noticed that the steering wheel was little easier this morning.

What is your opinion on this matter? Any suggestions?

Thank you
1/1/2011
Neal
Neal, Mechanic
It sounds to me like it might be a belt and or tensioner pulley going bad. You need to get this checked out right away as you are very likely to be left stranded at any time.
I thought it was a belt. I will call and get an appointment shortly. I just looked up what the tensioner belt does.
Does the tensioner pulley transfer power to both the alternator and the power steering in my make and model of vehicle?

Thanks again.
There are two belts on that model and the alternator and power steer in are operated by separate belts.
Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Neal
Neal
Neal, Mechanic