Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic
2617050

1991 Suzuki: starts fine..solenoid replaced..4x4 it drops to 7 volts

I have a 1991 Suzuki LT-F4WDX a while back it started giving me a hard time starting in the cold temps (30 or less).When I push in the start button it will try for a split second to start but than stop and do nothing and if I continue to hold the button smoke will come from the wiring near the starter other times it starts fine. I just had the solenoid replaced and that did not help. A friend put a voltage meter on the battery and it read 11.8 without a load so it should be good but as I try to start the 4x4 it drops to 7 volts. Do you think the starter is bad or is there something I am missing?
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 6 years ago.

This would indicate the starter is drawing too many amps from the battery, which will cause the wires to get hot and even melt. Replace the starter and hopefully the battery made it through this ok. You might have to replace the battery though, as this really puts a strain on it but start by replacing the starter. If you have further questions feel free to reply.

Please remember to click on accept so i receive credit. Even if you have a subscription. You will not be charged again.
You can always ask follow up questions even after you accept.

Happy Holidays!