Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Is it possible to bypass Security/immobilisation system on my Land Rover 1998 4.6 HSE?

Customer Question
I am having problems with...
I am having problems with the Security/immobilistation on my Rand Rover 1998 4.6 HSE. Is it possible to bypass the security system on this vehicle?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Car
11/24/2010
Auto Mechanic: DBranch, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 years ago
DBranch
DBranch, ASE Certified Technician

Welcome to JA.

If you can get it to the dealer and have them reprogram the immobilization then that should do the trick. They can also do what is called an F out and it will disable the security. You can also try to enter what is called the EKA code if you can obtain that number. If you call the dealer with the VIN they should be able to get it for you. Below is the way you enter it. If this doesnt work. Then you will ahve to have it towed to the dealer. There is a generic code of 1515 it may or may not work. Hope this helps. Thanks Daniel

Make sure the doors, windows and bonnet/hood are closed, get out and lock the car again with the key. (Note: on 1996 and later models, you have to turn the key to the lock position four times for this step if the remote handset was not used to lock the vehicle). Then turn the key the required number of times according to the following sequence. (At each step the side lamps warning light on the dash will light to show it has recognized the input).

1. To enter the first digit, turn the key the required number of times to the unlock position.
  2. To enter the second digit, turn the key the required number of times to the lock position.
  3. To enter the third digit, turn the key the required number of times to the unlock position.
  4. To enter the fourth digit, turn the key the required number of times to the lock position.

Turn the key to the unlock position to unlock the doors. The alarm will now be partially disarmed; if you try to open the hood the alarm will sound. After five incorrect attempts (3 for 1996 and later models) at this procedure, the BeCM goes into a 10 minute lockout mode (30 minutes for 1996 and later models), during which time the message center displays "KEY CODE LOCKOUT" and further attempts at EKA will not work.

The EKA code is supposed to be on your "security card".

Generic EKA Procedure on NAS Range Rovers
The EKA feature does not seem to be enabled on US vehicles, or some Australian ones, and is not mentioned in their owners' handbooks (but see "rest of world" section below). However there does seem to be an abbreviated version of the procedure available on NAS models, intended to be known only by Land Rover dealers and using a generic code (1515) for all vehicles. One US owner with a 2000 Range Rover had his vehicle stranded with a dead battery and no remote available, but when jumpering it got the message "Engine Disabled, Press Remote". Since he did not have a remote, he managed to reactivate the vehicle using a variant of the EKA procedure that the dealer confided -- the dealer was fairly sure that almost all NAS P38's have the same EKA code, which is:
Unlock once
lock 5 times,
unlock once,
and then lock 5 times.

Here is another alternative to try.

1/ Open the Vehicle manually with the key (the alarm will be going off the whole time) and open the bonnet (it is extremely Important to leave the bonnet and the door open or you may be locked out).

2/ Disconnect the main 12 volt vehicle battery.

3/ Put key in ignition and turn to position II.

4/ Reconnect the Battery.(window unset alarms will be going off)

5/ Start the engine then push the lock and unlock buttons on the key while the engine is running.

6/ Open and close all the windows to reset them.

7/ You are done.

Edited by DBranch on 11/24/2010 at 1:32 AM EST