Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Rodeo: set timing..timing belt..pulley

oki [email protected] how to set...
oki [email protected] how to set timing belt on 1994 3.2 rodeo. my question is @fter you [email protected] should the timing [email protected] on [email protected] pulley [email protected] lign up with 0degrees when right [email protected] [email protected] is ligned up? someone did @ newtensioner @nd [email protected] its right but when i get either of the [email protected] the other isnt ligned up. didnt [email protected]@r down tofind out its ok
11/2/2010
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
So you are looking for the timing marks correct ?
ClickHere
ClickHere
I had this problem on a 97 that i did the head gaskets on. You have to get the camshaft pulleys EXACT before you put the timing belt on or they wont return where they are supposed to. I will attach the instructions on how to get them aligned.

3.2L Engine

View Full Image
Crankshaft sprocket groove and alignment marks—3.2L engine

View Full Image
Camshaft sprocket alignment marks—3.2L engine

View Full Image
Timing belt direction of installation and rotation—3.2L engine

View Full Image
Timing belt tensioner pulley with pusher installed—3.2L engine

View Full Image
Large paper clips are an excellent way to hold the belt in place during service. Timing belt tensioner pulley with pusher installed—3.2L engine
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Drain the engine coolant into a sealable container.
Remove the air cleaner assembly.
Remove the upper fan shroud from the radiator.
Remove the four nuts retaining the cooling fan assembly. Remove the cooling fan.
Remove the power steering drive belt.
Remove the air conditioning compressor drive belt.
Remove the alternator drive belt.
Remove the fan pulley assembly.
Set the timing belt so that the timing marks on the sprockets align with those on the oil pump and front plate.
Remove the crankshaft pulley center bolt. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
Remove the two oil cooler hose bracket fixing bolts on the timing cover. Remove the oil cooler hoses and bracket.
Remove the timing belt cover.

WARNING
Set the timing sprockets so that the crankshaft and camshaft sprocket timing marks align with the timing marks on the oil pump and front plate. When the timing marks are align, no pistons are at TDC for the compression stroke. Valve damage may result if the sprockets and belt are out of alignment.
Remove the pusher. The rod must always be facing upward.
Mark the timing belt, cam pulley and crankshaft pulley. Remove the timing belt.
To install:
Align the groove on the crankshaft timing pulley with mark on the oil pump.
Align the marks on the camshaft timing pulleys with the dots on the front plate.
Install the timing belt. Align the dotted marks on the timing belt with the mark on the crankshaft pulley.
Align the white line on the timing belt with the alignment mark on the right bank camshaft timing pulley. Secure the belt with a small clamp.
Turn the crankshaft counterclockwise to remove the slack between the crankshaft pulley and the right camshaft timing pulley.
Install the belt on the water pump pulley.
Install the belt on the idler pulley.
Align the white alignment mark on the timing belt with the alignment mark on the left bank camshaft timing pulley.
Install the crankshaft pulley and tighten the center bolt by hand. Turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise to give slack between the crankshaft timing pulley and the right bank camshaft timing pulley.
Install the pusher while pushing the tension pulley to the belt.
Pull the pin out from the pusher.
Remove the clamps from the pulleys. Turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise two turns. Measure the rod protrusion to be sure it is between 0.16–0.24 in. (4–6mm).
Check the stick–out of the pusher plunger against the belt tensioner. Clearance should be 0.16–0.24 in. (4–6mm).
Tighten adjusting bolt to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).
Tighten pusher bolt to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
Remove crankshaft pulley. Install the timing belt cover and tighten bolts to 12 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).
Install the oil cooler hose and tighten brackets to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
Install the crankshaft pulley and tighten bolts to 123 ft. lbs. (167 Nm).
Install fan pulley assembly and tighten fixing bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
Install and adjust alternator drive belt.
Install and adjust air conditioning drive belt.
Install and adjust power steering pump drive belt.
Install cooling fan assembly and tighten bolts to 69 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
Install upper fan shroud to the radiator.
Install air cleaner assembly.
Refill and bleed the cooling system.
Reconnect the negative battery cable.
Check the operation of valve train. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
yes i [email protected] this info. my question is [email protected] you doubleckit from the [email protected] on the timing [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]@ncer with out [email protected] it @ll the [email protected] down? with it on 0 degrees on [email protected] the right [email protected]@[email protected] see left @s [email protected] tore it down [email protected] [email protected]?
Yes you can set it to top dead center then check the cams . Would bet the cams are off.
[email protected] [email protected] i thought but he [email protected] [email protected] with me @nd tellme they @[email protected] down @nd @ccept when i find out for sure. [email protected]
Anytime . Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Did you need anything else?
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
timing [email protected] off ty!!!!
Tom
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician