Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

autozone..check engine light..research my fault codes..tighten gas cap

I like everyone have an occasional engine light come on for whatever reason. I go to Autozone and have the check engine light interpreted then go home and research my fault codes on the internet. Usualy the problem is simple like tighten gas cap or reconnect a vaccuum tube. Scantools seem to be pretty much all the same if you plan on using it only on vehicles 1996 or newer. It seems like an economical OBD-II reader goes for around $150.00-$200.00. My question is: Is there a device/reader that allows you to use a laptop to read the codes. I get a little confused on Ebay. I think there selling this device that I'm describing for less than $20.00. I figure most of the money tied up into making a handheld reader is in the computer and the screen. If you own a laptop and this described device/reader than you could save some dough.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

If you can pick up a scanner for 20 bucks seems liek a hard to believe price

Steve :

You have to be careful what you buy on e-bay they are Chinese knock offs that do not work or break easily

Steve :

You can buy a generic obd scanner for under 100 dollars that does not require a laptop and is more reliable

Steve :

let me know if you have any other questions

Customer :

Do the research yourself. Type "code scanner" on ebay motors and sort by price. There are many many items available for around $20.00 (buy it now). Even if there Chinese Knock-Off's I don't imagine the seller wants negative feedback for selling junk. I don't plan on using it professionaly I just seem to need one a couple of times a year. I can go to Autozone basicaly for free and wasn't planning on spending anywhere's near $100.00 to eliminate trips to the parts store. I'm not sure you addressed my question about the application of these described device/readers for $20.00.

Steve :

I do know about the 20 dollars scanners and they are Chinese knocks off that sometimes do not work

Steve :

It is your choice to buy one and hope it works

Steve :

For the most part it will probably work for what you want to use it for

Steve :

I do not know exactly what your question is at this point