Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Olds cutlass: ignition switch and now it..wont start..light flashes

i need to know how...
i need to know how to reset the anti-theft system on my 98' olds cutlass-i changed
the ignition switch and now it turns over but won't start--the anti-theft light flashes
10/19/2010
Pete, Technician
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Here is the procedure to relearn your key for the theft relearn.

Time required, approximately 10 minutes.
1. Insure that the battery is fully charged.
2. Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs. (you can skip this step)
3. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the CRANK position attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle will start and then stall.
4. Leave the ignition switch in the ON position while observing the security indicator.
5. When the security indicator turns off, which can take up to 10 minutes, turn the ignition switch off. Wait 10 seconds. Then start the car.
The BCM and the PCM will learn the new code on the next start attempt.
start attempt.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Pete, Technician
Pete, Technician