Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

I have a Honda lawn mower with very black oil. I tipped it

I have a Honda lawn mower with very black oil. I tipped it over, drained and refilled it. Still black. The engine backfires shooting flame out the muffler and guzzles gas. Could I have overfilled the oil? could the carburator float be jammed. Is there a mixture adjustment? It seems to never get to full speed and it belches black smoke when I restart during mowing.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

The carb is shot needs to be rebuilt

Steve :

Also could have crap in the tank

JACUSTOMER-gujp8spk- :

Is this something I should try myself? If so how do I find parts? I can't find any decal that says make and model?

Steve :

seen this happen all the time with Honda lawn mowers and I usually rebuild the carb and clean the tank out

Steve :

I would take it to the Honda repair shop

Steve :

The carb kit you can get from the Honda dealer

Steve :

If you want to try youself

JACUSTOMER-gujp8spk- :

I also have a Lowes service number but I'd rather go to a Honda expert

Steve :

The dealer will charge around 100 dollars to rebuild the carb including the kit

Steve :

I have several Hondas and work on small engines

JACUSTOMER-gujp8spk- :

I've rebuilt MGs so I'm not afraid of the challenge. How do I find a dealer in Simpsonville SC or via mail order?

Steve :

Check the web google for a Honda dealer

Steve :

If there is not one close by then mail order from the closets one

Steve :

check the internet may find some good deals on a kit

JACUSTOMER-gujp8spk- :

How about oil issues. I can't find any oil drain plug. I tipped the mower on its side to drain the oil but I got less than a pint out. Would this account for any symptoms. How do I find out the true capacity?

Steve :

The drain plug is on the side of the motor and I usally have to tip it. It should take around 1 quart of oil maby a little less

JACUSTOMER-gujp8spk- :

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate the help. On submarines at sea we had to fix everything without outside advice so this is a big help.

Steve :

your welcome

have a great day