Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

The tailgate on my land rover discovery 3 wont open

the tailgate on my land rover discovery 3 won't open. It makes a noise but nothing happens.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
The latch is actually seized it just makes a clicking sound correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i think it is electronically operated. it makes a sound like a motor is turning but the top section doesn't open

Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Ok unfortunately the latch has seized . The panel will need to be removed to get to the latch and allot of times it will need to be drilled out. Is this something you are trying to do yourself ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It is but I won't be doing any drilling out. Is this a failure of the lock actuator?

Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Yes absolutely . You will need to replace the actuator and worst case scenario it will need to be drilled out if it's seized completely . Sometimes cycling the locks and trying to open at the same time will get it to release and open. Then it will be easier to replace. These are the next steps. Hoped this helped . Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry - not sure what you mean by "cycling" the locks means?
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Sometimes if you have someone operate the power locks and try to open the tailgate at the same time sometimes it opens . Hoped this helped . Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .