Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

98 Range Rover with 110,000 miles on it..overheating..temp gauge

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 98 Range Rover with 110,000 miles on it. Just this week it started to have overheating problems. Temp gauge would climb up to the red with the light on. I replaced the thermostat which had what looked like some dried up silacone stuck in it. Put it back together with new antifreeze, 15 minutes down the road same thing. I now have pulled the water pump off, looks clean as the day it was new, back flushed the radiator back flushed the block and back flushed through the heater hose and core. All clean. Could the vicoes fan not be working fully, or the coolant temp sensor not be turning on the aux fans to do this. I am lost at this point. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Yes allot of times the fan clutches are bad causing this issue . Was this checked . Also was the water pump original ? Have the head gaskets been checked ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The fan clutch does run when the engine is running,but I don't think it's to strong. I replaced the pump several years ago, and it still is tight with no bearing wobble.The head gaskets show no leakage anywhere.