Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2005 Lexus: odometer..kms..My mechanic..brakes had recently been done

Customer Question
Can a good, trustworthy mechanic...
Can a good, trustworthy mechanic tell easily whether an odometer has neen turned back.? I am looking at a used 2005 Lexus rx 330 that only has 62,000.00 kms on it and seems to be in pristine condition. My mechanic did not put it up on the hoist but looked under it and could see that the brakes had recently been done. I was told the rear tires were in bad shape and needed replacing and a seal was broken on the one headlight which the dealer said would be corrected issues. I am no expert on vehicles by any stretch but think it odd that the back tires would be in such bad shape when there is such few kilometres on the vehichle. Would five years of ""less then average'' driving time result in such poor tire quality. Should the seal on a headlight kit not have lasted longer then five years? Any ideas on how long these very expensive headlights on the Lexus's last, as the replacement kits are 1776.00. I'd really appreciate answers if u have them.. Heather
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
10/3/2010
Auto Mechanic: PAVLIN, Technician replied 7 years ago
PAVLIN
PAVLIN, Technician
Chat Conversation Started
PAVLIN :

Hi

PAVLIN :

Normal life on tires is 90 000 to 110 000., look at brake pedal rubber pad cover for ware. look at steering wheel for ware, headlight glass, if has many smal chips from sand particals on the highway.

PAVLIN :

cluster can be programed electronicaly and there is no way of proving that.

JACUSTOMER-3qv1qixl- :

Hi there,So my sense is correct then that these tires are showing way too much wear for just having 62000. kms..Steering wheel seemed fine, he said brakes were just replaced and it was the condensation within the headlight that looked to be an issue. There didnt seem to be sand particles but two mechanics both said it needed replacing. that it couldnt just be fixed.

PAVLIN :

If you are suspicious about it, better walk away.

JACUSTOMER-3qv1qixl- :

Whay do u mean by cluster can be programmed?

PAVLIN :

kilometers Can be programed to different value, this is done when cluster is replaced to another car after accident.

PAVLIN :

If you have doubt about it,my advise is not to buy the car, because that will stick to the back of your head and will always bother you.

JACUSTOMER-3qv1qixl- :

Then it would be worth my while to have my mechanic due a 120-150 point inspection before I say I am interested in this car . e should be able to tell then whether there ever wa an accident right even though the carproof thing came back clean on this vehichle?

PAVLIN :

Car may not have been in accident, accident cars are done in order to repair, what I am traing to tell you that this equipment may be used for tampering in bad person hands.

PAVLIN :

I do not say that this is the case just telling you that this is possible.

JACUSTOMER-3qv1qixl- :

okay thanx.

PAVLIN :

You are welcome, All the Best!

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician