Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2000 ford explorer: cyl..stalls..air filter , maf sensor..fuel filter

Customer Question
2000 ford explorer , 6...
2000 ford explorer , 6 cyl , p0141 and po147 system too lean bank 1 and 2 car has no power but runs , sometimes stalls and is sluggish , replaced air filter , maf sensor , fuel pump and fuel filter ! nothing changed ! ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
10/2/2010
Auto Mechanic: Matt Carey, Auto electrical technician replied 7 years ago
Matt Carey
Matt Carey, Auto electrical technician
Chat Conversation Started
Matt Carey :

Hi this is MATT, have you checked fuel pressure? Any codes? Also, I would use propane, or carb cleaner, and look for a vacuum leak? Check around the intake manifold, and any vacuum lines. Let me know what you have checked? Do you have access to scan data , such as codes, fuel trims, etc...? MATT

Customer :

have not checked fuel pressure but installed new fuel pump cant find and vacum leaks

Customer :

could it be a bad o2 sensor ? if so wich one ?

Customer :

system too lean bank 1 and 2 only codes , freaze frame data shows fuel system closed loop

Matt Carey :

P0141 is bank 1 sensor 2 , O2 heater circuit, that is the O2 sensor on the pass side , down stream sensor (rear). unplug the sensor and check the resistance of the heater in the O2 sensor. It should be 3-30 ohms between the two heater wires on the O2 sensor ( usually the two black wires on the sensor side/ unplugged)

Matt Carey :

Does your Explorer have 3 or 4 O2 sensors? P0147 is for B1 S3 O2. Which motor size do you have? 4.0 OHV or SOHC or 5.0 ? DO you have access to a scanner to look at O2 voltage data? I'm not showing a P0147 for a 00 Explorer? If no scanner, then you can use a meter to verify O2 voltage. Let me know if you need help. MATT

Customer :

its 4.0 ohv pushrod , i think only 2 o2 sensers , and its 0141 and 0174 codes sorry

Matt Carey :

Okay, thanks. I think you have three O2 sensors. Two front and one rear ( after the Cat. Convertor). The P0141 is for the heater circuit for the Bank 1 Sensor 2 ( post CAT ) O2 sensor. The O2 at the rear of the convertor. Unplug it and check the resistance of the heater circuit with an ohm meter. Like I said above.

Matt Carey :

The Po174 is bank 2 lean. Bank 2 is the driver side of the motor. Look and listen for a vacuum leak? Maybe a leaking vacuum line or PCV elbow? Or spray carb. cleaner while the engine is idling, looking for a change in idle speed caused by the spay?

Matt Carey :

let me know , what you find. And if you have a scanner, with access to data. Watching fuel trims or O2 data, will help find the problem. MATT

Customer :

cant find any vacum leaks

Matt Carey :

Do you have a Volt/ ohm meter? or Scanner? How have you looked for vacuum leaks?

Customer :

i checked for leaks with carb cleaner and i do have a volt meter and a obd11 scanner

Matt Carey :

For the P0141 code, unplug the rear O2 and check the resistance (ohms ) reading of the heater in the sensor.

Matt Carey :

Bad thing is that this O2 heater code will not cause a driveability problem. But it is easy to check, and get rid of that code.

Customer :

thats behind the cat correct

Matt Carey :

For the Bank 2 lean code, (P0174), can you watch fuel trims on your scanner? Or is it just a code reader?

Matt Carey :

Yes behind the CAT.

Customer :

just code reader , so it should be between 3 and 30 ohms ? and if its not ?

Matt Carey :

if not within the correct resistance , then the O2 heater is bad, need new O2 sensor. but a bad O2 heater wil not cause driveability problems, just Eng. Light, and codes.

Customer :

ok i will check that out

Matt Carey :

Let Me know what you find, thanks, MATT

Matt Carey :

How is it at Idle? You might want to check the EGR valve. Make sure it is not stuck open, tap on it. You can use a hand vacuum pump connected to the EGR valve , apply vacuum to open the valve, this should make the motor stall. This may also help unstick a stuck EGR valve. Did this problem come on slowly, or all at once? How old are the spark plugs?

Customer :

egr seems good . plugs ok . car runs great for 3to4 miles and then the throttle goes away and dosent want to go anymore . if i press the gas its like its flooding and a little backfireing and dies after idleing a bit

Matt Carey
Matt Carey
Matt Carey, Auto electrical technician