nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

2001 Olds Silhouette: the gas gauge has false readings..tank

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Olds Silhouette, the gas gauge has false readings. It fluctates from full to empty. I checked wires leading into the tank and nothing looks broke. What else can I check?
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

Hi I'm Billy, and i will assist you.

Billy :

You need to check the fuel level reader which is installed on the fuel pump housing in the fuel tank.

Billy :

if the level reader looks ok and the potentiometer on it isn't broken, then you'll need a new fuel pump housing that contains the level reader.

Billy :

Keep me updated so i know my answer was satisfactory, and in that case kindly click the ACCEPT button so i get paid for my time, and leave good feedback as i will do to you. Thank You.

JACUSTOMER-n5ubmi6k- :

Hi Billy,

JACUSTOMER-n5ubmi6k- :

What does the level reader and the potentiometer look like? I had the tank dropped and saw the different lines and plug ins but I don't know for sure what you mean to look at.

Billy :

In the tank you have the fuel pump submerged. The fuel pump housing contains a see-saw like contraption, that is the fuel level reader and potentiometer. Most probably you'll have to change the whole pump housing, as there are no accessories to it.